University of Surrey Year Abroad

University of Surrey Logo

University of Surrey Year Abroad

University of Surrey Year Abroad


Study abroad

As a University of Surrey student you have the opportunity to work or study abroad as part of your degree.

Surrey international exchange

Students share their experiences of going on an international exchange to Hong Kong.

Research shows that studying or working abroad makes you smarter. There are study exchange opportunities in many subject areas, and the majority of students can choose to work abroad for their professional training year.

Study exchange can take place either in the second year for one semester or the full year or as an alternative to a work placement in the Professional Training Year, depending on your degree course. For further details consult Global Opportunities under your degree programme entry.  A guide to the Global Opportunities can be viewed here.

Taking part in an exchange gives you the opportunity to travel and live in another country, whilst earning credits that will contribute to your Surrey degree. The University of Surrey has Erasmus agreements across Europe, and international partners worldwide including USA, Canada, Australia, Singapore and Japan. Some of the exchange agreements are subject specific, please use the online search tool to find out where you can study abroad, before completing the online application.

Where can I go?

Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASS)

Business, Economics, Accounting and Finance, Music as well as Tourism and Hospitality students can spend one semester of their second year abroad, normally the first semester, apart from Law students who study abroad in their Professional Training Year.  Business, Economics, Hospitality/Tourism, Accounting & Finance students must have a 60% level average upon application and need to maintain this average, passing all modules at first attempt in the year of application. Most other students can study abroad in their Professional Training Year.

Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences (FHMS)

Most FHMS students can work abroad using Erasmus+ Work at one of our partner universities for their Professional Training Year. Some subjects are able to study abroad in their second year.

Faculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences (FEPS)

FEPS students typically study abroad in their second year, for a semester or a year, apart from Chemistry who use Erasmus+ Work or Santander to work at one of our partners. Physics students can study abroad in their second year and work using Erasmus+ Work in their Professional Training Year, or to do their Research Year as part of the MPhys.

Search tool

Please use this search tool to find out where you can study or work abroad. Your options will depend on your degree programme and your year of study.  It is best to use Chrome or Firefox.

Internship programmes

Global Placement is an online international internship job board founded in 2003 with support from the European commission. Students looking for an international internship can search through 5000+ internships from all over the world and apply for free.

Students who are looking for an internship in the Netherlands might also be interested in, the Dutch sister company which offers over 1500 internships in the Netherlands alone.

Generation UK: 2018 Summer Internships in China

The British Council’s Generation UK – China programme offers funding support for two month placements for UK students to gain work experience in mainland China this summer. Placements are available at companies in a wide range of industries and knowledge of Chinese is not a pre-requisite for this internship.

Generation UK – China funding covers accommodation and comprehensive travel insurance, as well as an airport pickup service and dedicated support throughout the placement.

Placements are available in a wide range of industries across six cities and is arranged by two British Council appointed suppliers: CRCC Asia and Intern China.

How do I apply?

Placements are available every month and you are advised to apply at least two months before your desired arrival date.

  • Click here for internships in Beijing, Shanghai or Shenzhen with CRCC Asia.
  • Click here for internships in Chengdu, Qingdao or Zhuhai with Intern China.

Important note: You cannot apply to both CRCC Asia and Intern China.

To find out more about the programme and to apply, please click hereThe current round is closed, so check the website for regular updates.

For enquiries, please contact us.

Generation UK: 2018 India

Generation UK-India is a programme that aims to promote international experience and build engagement and trust between the UK and India. Over the next 5 years the British Council will work with partners to support up to 25,000 young people and professionals from the UK to gain experience in India.

The following placements are likely to be on offer in 2018:

  • Teach in India: Teach a range of subjects in an Indian schools for two to five months.


Different placements have different requirements but you must be:

• at least 18 years of age
• a native-level English speaker
• currently living in the UK
• able to demonstrate a clear interest and commitment to your placement in India

Watch a British Council video about the Generation UK – India programme.  Hear from Bobby Sebolao and Henry Latham about their experiences on Generation UK-India.

Applications for 2018 will open shortly.  Please check here for details about the various programmes and the opening date of the application form.

Work or Volunteer Abroad with the British Council

Learning to communicate and contribute across cultural and language barriers can help you become resilient, self-sufficient, adaptable and so much more.

When applying for jobs or attending interviews, experience gained from a work or volunteer abroad placement can help you to stand out from the crowd.

Please visit the British Council website to see the range of options available.