University of Surrey Students Union
University of Surrey Students Union
What is the Student’s Union?
The University of Surrey Students’ Union is not-for-profit charity, independent from the University that represents all University of Surrey students on a local and national level. As the sole representative body for students at Surrey, the Union is led by a team of 5 full time sabbatical officers and 21 part time student officers who are all elected annually by Students’ Union members through an online ballot – #SurreyDecides. It is important to note that ALL University of Surrey students are a member of the Students’ Union by default, so you don’t have to worry about membership fees.
Full-time Officers, Part-time Officers, & Union Zones
The Union is split into four zones; Voice, Activity, Support, and Community, and each zone is led by a full time officer that is a Vice-President and Trustee of the Union. Trustees have responsibility for the direction and for overseeing the Students’ Union, and the President as the Chair of the Board of Trustees, is line manager to the Vice-Presidents, and the Students’ Union’s Chief Executive Office (CEO).
The Students’ Union has three entertainment venues and offices. They provide the space for social events throughout the year.
Contact: Ian Lipp – Facility manager 01483 689984 / 01483 689 223
SMS: 07624 805349
Opening times vary, particularly out of term time. The building is usually open into the evening and the offices are occupied during day time hours.
The student union is located centrally on campus between the Hillside Restaurant/Oak complex and Chancellors bar.
- The nearest disabled parking bay either by the Library (3) or a parking space by Hillside Restaurant on the south side.
- There is a parking space outside Chancellor’s bar.
Students Union Building
- Access to the main entrance: enter Hillside restaurant from level 1 (south side). Enter the lift, located next to the stairwell, and descend to the ground floor. Exit the lift and turn right along an external concourse, alongside Starbucks. Keep going to the end and then turn right up a ramp and into the SU building.
- The main entrance to the SU also has level access from external platform lift. During evening events the lift is operated via a key, which is obtained from the SU/Security.
- There is a shorter walkway to the main entrance (behind the student Union and next to the Computer shop). However, the gradient is quite steep and not advisable for wheelchair access.
- There is no level access from the Chancellor’s bar end of the building to the main entrance of the SU. One of the cash machines by SU is at a lower level and more accessible for a wheelchair user
- Student Union offices and Shop– There is an accessible entrance from the road that runs along the South of the SU; this has wheelchair access, but no drop-down kerb, next to the computer shop
This is the Student’s Union Bar and restaurant, serving meals throughout the day and holding events such as regular quiz nights, comedy nights and music nights.
- There is ramp access next to the Pizza takeaway
- The main entrance is near the outside tables and disabled parking bay.
- There is an accessible toilet
The Living Room/Young’s Kitchen
The living room has the capacity to hold 180 people. It is the host venue to a variety of sports clubs and society led events. In the daytime there is an oriental canteen/restaurant serving food during breakfast time and lunch.
- Access is next to the lift that goes to the main entrance of the SU.
- The only level access/exit from this part of the SU is via the main entrance.
- There is an accessible toilet in this area, opened via a radar key, which is available from the bar.
Student Union Offices / Shop
The offices and the shop are on one level.
Rubix Nightclub (level 2 & 3)
- The main union nightclub can hold up to 1550 people. It is built on three levels accessible by lifts.
- Lifts are operated via a push button system. The lift system gives access to all areas via a series of lifts at different internal locations. In total there are three internal lifts within the Rubix area.
- There is an emergency refuge bay on the top floor by the fire escape stairs.
- There is an accessible toilet (with handrail) near the main entrance of Rubix.