University of Surrey Remote Access
University of Surrey Remote Access
The Remote Access service enables students to access the following from University resources whilst off-campus:
• Personal and Shared central filestore including S: and H: Drive
• University of Surrey Intranet – SurreyNet
• Library resources such as E-Journals and Exam Papers
• IT Services resources including the Printing Online Payment System
Connecting to Remote Access
To connect to Remote Access visit: https://remote.surrey.ac.uk and login using your University ID and Password.
Note: When logging in make sure you set the Realm box to Active Directory.
Accessing your Home Directory – Personal Filestore
From the Homepage, select Personal Filestore (My Documents) to access your filestore held at the University. You will then be able to download or upload files between your own computer and your filestore at the University.
Downloading Files and/or Folders from your Personal Filestore
To download a single file:
- Browse and click the name of the file you want to download
- In the Save As dialog box, browse to the directory on your computer where you want to save the file
- Enter a name in the File name field
- Click Save
To download multiple files and/or folders:
- Browse to and select the files and/or folders you want to download by clicking on their respective checkboxes
- Click Download
- Specify a name for the .zip file and click Download. The data you request is transferred as a single compressed .zip file from which you can extract the collection of files and/or folders you want to download
Uploading Files and/or Folders to your Personal Filestore
To upload files and/or folders from your own computer:
- Browse to the Personal Filestore (My Documents) directory where you want to save the files and/or folders
- Click Upload File to access the upload page
- On the upload page, click Browse to locate and select the files you want to save on the network
- Click Upload. The files you selected are uploaded and saved using the names you specified on the Save As fields or the names displayed in your local directory.
- After the files are uploaded, click Close in the Upload Status window.
- You can specify up to five individual files using the fields available and specify names for them by entering their names in the respective Save As fields.
- You cannot upload folders without first creating a .zip file in a local directory containing the folder(s) you want to upload. After creating the .zip file, you can upload the zipped file containing the folder(s).
- If you want to upload more than five files and/or folders, you can create a .zip file in a local directory, browse to it, and upload it to the network. You can even have the contents of the .zip file you create automatically decompressed during the upload process by turning on the Uncompress .zip option when you browse to the .zip file.
- You can only upload a maximum of 500 MB of data at a time.
- If a file or folder with the same name already exists in the directory and you do not specify a name, the uploaded file is saved with the name: filename.timestamp.ext. To overwrite an existing file or folder, you must enter the name in the Save As field. For example, to overwrite a file named hello.txt, you must enter hello.txt in the Save As field.
Connecting to other Resources not listed
If you would like to connect to another resource not listed, then enter the URL address in the browse box located on the top right corner of the Homepage.