University of London Transfer

University of London LogoUniversity of London Transfer

Transfer and Change

Transfer of registration

It is possible to change programmes without seeking permission from the University. You might consider changing to another programme of study if you find that:

  • your interests have changed
  • the courses of your degree are not taught in your local institution.

It is not advisable to change programmes because you are finding the courses too difficult. Generally speaking, the courses across all programmes do not differ in terms of difficulty.

Should you decide to change to another programme of study, you should simply inform the registry office of the University of London which programme you wish to be registered for. There are two opportunities each year to do this:

  • when you pay your continuing registration fee and
  • when you enter for examinations.

Current students should look at their Student Handbook and Degree Regulations for further information.

The General Course

Students who have completed at least four courses on the University of London International EMFSS degree programme are able to apply for admission to the LSE General Course and claim credit for the successful completion of relevant courses. The General Course is an opportunity for students of the International Programmes to experience life at the LSE, attending lectures and classes for the period of a full academic year of study (October – July).

Important note: A student of the University of London International Programmes who undertakes a period of one year’s study at LSE will still be awarded a University of London degree.

The courses that students undertake at LSE may be credited to their University of London International Programmes degree. Any student who is interested in pursuing this opportunity should contact the University of London International Programmes for guidance on selecting equivalent courses to ensure that all marks can be carried forward and credits applied to their University of London degree.

Full information on the LSE General Course can be found in the General Course briefing or at

Applications can be submitted in hard copy and online but applicants should first consult with their teaching institution and/or LSE to confirm their suitability for the programme.

Applying to LSE for 2nd year entry

LSE welcomes applications from International programmes students who wish to apply to the second year of a relevant degree. Please bear in mind that transfer is not automatic, since competition is very fierce and LSE is restricted to numbers for both first and second year entries. The number of applications is very high compared to the number of vacancies and so the calibre of applicant is taken into consideration. Successful applicants need very good grades in their Diploma or foundation course examinations, and a strong academic background.

As a brief idea, generally departments would usually ask for an average of 60% in the diploma/degree foundation courses with at least 60% in three of the courses and a good pass in the fourth.

Another requirement for second year entry is that the courses taken via University of London International Programmes (EMFSS) match the content of the first year of the Internal degree as closely as possible. Courses should therefore be carefully selected.

Applicants need to apply through UCAS in the normal way, stating that they wish to apply for second year entry.

Transfer into the second year of the International Relations, International History & International Relations, BA History and LLB programmes is not permitted and neither is a transfer into the third year of any LSE programme.

For details on undergraduate programmes within LSE, please see the Undergraduate Prospectus.

Transferring to other Universities

Other Universities in the UK may consider applications for students from University of London International Programmes. If you are thinking of transferring to another university, we advise you to find out by October (a year before you hope to transfer) what the procedures are for making an application. You should contact the admissions officers of the university concerned in the first instance and direct them to the University of London website which lists all the necessary information about the International Programmes.

To be considered for a place in any of the University of London colleges or for other Universities in the UK you will need to apply through UCAS, stating that you are applying for second year entry. Your local British Council office can advise you further. It is advisable to apply before the closing date in January and preferably well before this. If you study in a college, your academic tutor will be able to advise you.