University of Birmingham Welfare

 University of Birmingham Welfare

University of Birmingham crest

 University of Birmingham Welfare

Student welfare

Sometimes problems do occur. As a School we are committed to providing student support for both academic and welfare problems. The school’s welfare team are here to help you deal with any and all welfare matters and their effect on your studies.

If you have a welfare problem, please come straight to the welfare team. You do not need to tell your lecturers, we will do this for you if it is necessary and we will never share the details of your situation.

The welfare team provide a welfare session each day during which time any student can drop in and have a chat. You MUST inform the the welfare team if any special circumstances occur which might affect your ability to study. If you do not then it may be difficult to take these circumstances into account during the examination board meetings.

The Welfare hours for the spring term 2016-17 are as follows:

Day Tutor Times Room
Monday Dr Phillip Smith 1100-1200 CS-LG06c
Tuesday Dr Rowanne Fleck 1200-1300 CS-140
Wednesday Dr Rowanne Fleck 1300-1400 CS-140
Thursday Dr Phillip Smith 1100-1200 CS-LG06c
Friday Dr Ian Kenny 1000-1100 CS-232

Please contact the Senior Welfare Tutor Dr. Ian Kenny, for issues related to disability or wish to request a leave of absence.

You should make any initial contact with the welfare team by emailing Note that any email to the above address will be stored in a email-handling database. If you feel uncomfortable with this, then please contact welfare by attending one of the welfare hours.

Students who wish to see a specific member of staff for gender-specific or other reasons should attend the corresponding welfare hour, or contact us by email to request a meeting.

A number of useful self-help guides have been produced by the University, and you may find it useful to consult them, but they are not a substitute for proper advice. If you feel that you are affected by the issues that they cover then please contact the welfare team who will be able to give you further help.

The Disability, Learning Support and Mental Health Service allow you to register yourself with their services via an online registration form.