University of Nottingham Extenuating Circumstances

University of Nottingham Logo

University of Nottingham Extenuating Circumstances

University of Nottingham Extenuating Circumstances

Extenuating circumstances

During your time with us you might experience significant personal difficulties that are outside of your control.

If these problems impact your ability to study or complete assessments, we recommend that you notify, for example, your Personal Tutor, PhD supervisor or a Welfare Officer, as soon as possible.  These people will be able to provide advice and direct you to appropriate procedures or support services, if applicable.

If you’ve discussed your circumstances and you identify you need to make a claim under the Extenuating Circumstances policy, you will need to let us know by filling out an extenuating circumstances form.

Your case will then be looked at and you’ll be informed of the outcome of your claim.

What you need to know

If you miss an assessment or coursework deadline, or your performance was affected by extenuating circumstances, you will need to complete an extenuating circumstances form. Coursework extensions should also be requested using this form, (also see below guidance on Academic and Disability referral forms).

Time limits

We’ve produced a leaflet to help you understand what you need to know regarding time limits within the EC policy

The extenuating circumstances form must be submitted before your coursework deadline or within seven days of your assessment.

Supporting documents can be attached to the form or sent to within 14 days of the assessment.

Students with Academic or Disability referral form that makes reference to extension

If you have an academic referral form (ARF) or disability referral form (DRF) that states on it that extensions to deadlines should be allowed on request wherever possible, you do not need to complete an extenuating circumstances form.

Instead you need to get the approval of the relevant module convenor/designated member of School staff on this form – Coursework Extension Request Form for students with an ARF/DRF, and submit it to a Service Centre. You do not need to include any supporting documentation. This form can only be used for one extension per assessment and must be submitted before the original deadline.

Submission can be in person or to

See the full policies on extenuating circumstances in the Quality Manual.