University of Manchester Transfer

University of Manchester Logo

University of Manchester Transfer

USA / Entry requirements

Entry conditions will vary from course to course and will be based upon standard US equivalents of UK requirements.

Certain qualifications may not be acceptable for some courses, so it is important to check with the International Office before you apply.

General requirements for undergraduate courses

For high-school applicants we require:

  • A GPA of 3.0 or above;
  • SAT of 1290 or above.

The Designated Institution Code for The University of Manchester is 3737.


We also accept ACT results, with a minimum composite score of 27 or above.

ACT has assigned college code number 7026 to The University of Manchester.

AP scores

In three subjects, with a minimum score of grade 4 in each.

SAT subject scores will be taken into consideration, however, we prefer candidates to offer AP test scores.

The UK operates a system of ‘conditional’ and ‘unconditional’ offers. If we want to make you an offer, but you have not yet taken your AP tests, then we would usually make you a conditional offer subject to you achieving certain AP scores. You can submit your AP scores after you have made your application.

Community College applicants

Students will need to provide high-school grades and standardised tests as above. They should also provide details of the credits they have taken at Community College or Four Year College.

Some degree majors may recognise completed Associates Degree for advanced entry to Year 2 of the bachelor’s degree.

Transferring from a four-year institution

A GPA of 3.0, preferably 3.3 or above.

Students interested in gaining advanced standing* (beginning the course in Year 2), must demonstrate that studies undertaken to date match what has been covered here in Manchester.

*Year 2 is the highest advanced standing we offer.

Alternatives to transferring are to come to the University as a study abroad student, or to complete studies in the US and consider Manchester for a master’s degree.

General requirements for postgraduate/research courses

  • An undergraduate degree;
  • A minimum GPA of 3.0, preferably 3.3 or above;
  • For some postgraduate programmes, the major or content of undergraduate courses may be taken into consideration.

English language requirements

US nationals with American qualifications do not need to show evidence of English language ability in order to secure a Tier 4 (student) visa.

For further information please visit our English language requirements page.

Other entry requirements

Please note that this is generic information only. Faculties and Schools have different entry requirements and some qualifications may not be acceptable for certain courses, so it is important to check with the School directly before you apply.

Some courses have additional entry requirements such as previous work experience, submission of written work with the application or previous study of a particular subject.