University Of Bristol Summer School
Summer schools are integral to the work of the University’s UK Student Recruitment Office. They are central to our aim of becoming more accessible to a wider range of students allowing young people to experience university life.
We have been running summer schools for over a decade and have come up with a successful model that comprises a balance of academic study, enjoyable social activities and crucial interaction with our students and academics.
In 2017, we will be running the following summer schools:
- The Sutton Trust Summer School for Year 12 students
Each of these programmes will introduce students to the type of work they can expect as undergraduate students.
Insight into Bristol is an innovative residential summer school that gives students from London access to the University of Bristol’s academic expertise and facilities.
Insight into Bristol offers the following opportunities:
- An academic taster day in London, taught by University of Bristol staff.
- A residential summer school at the University of Bristol that will offer:
- academic sessions
- access to a range of facilities
- the chance to explore the University.
- Follow-up support sessions in London during Year 13, including support with UCAS applications.
Subjects you can study
As part of Insight into Bristol you can choose one of a number of subject areas in arts, sciences and social sciences. Each subject stream gives you an idea of what it’s like to study at the University of Bristol.
You will have an opportunity to work with academics and current students, who can offer advice and guidance about higher education and your chosen area of study.
Find out more information on the subject streams we offer.
Launch Event: Tuesday 20 June 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm, Arts & Media School in Islington, North London.
Academic Taster Sessions: Saturday 1 July 9:30 am to 4:30 pm, Arts & Media School in Islington, North London.
Residential Summer School: Tuesday 18 to Thursday 20 July, University of Bristol.
Guaranteed offer to the University of Bristol
We are committed to attracting the very best students and hold Insight into Bristol graduates in high regard.
Successfully completing Insight into Bristol guarantees you an offer from the University, as long as you meet the entry requirements for your degree course. This includes meeting specified grades and subjects.
If you need to attend an interview or audition for your degree course, we offer a guaranteed interview or audition instead.
Please note: the guaranteed offer does not apply to the Great Western Summer School.
Insight into Bristol is open to current Year 12 students who live in London and meet the following criteria:
- have the academic ability to study at the University of Bristol, see entry requirements for your chosen subject stream in our online course finder;
- attend a state school or college;
- are under the age of 18.
Where a subject stream is oversubscribed, preference will be given to those students who:
- are part of the first generation in their family to go to university;
- live in an area of low participation to HE as defined by POLAR 3, which is a score of 1 or 2 for the category ‘young participation quintile’;
- attend a contextual school or college, appearing on the list of LPS schools;
- are or have been eligible for free school meals;
- have worked with Into University in the past;
- are from an ethnic group which is under-represented at the University of Bristol (Asian Pakistani; Asian Bangladeshi; Black Caribbean; Black African; mixed backgrounds featuring one of these groups).
Free for students to attend, the University of Bristol covers the following costs:
- travel to and from the University
- meals and accommodation in a hall of residence.