University of Bath Language Centre
Foreign Languages Centre
- To develop a language programme that is both of the highest academic standards and meets the everyday needs of our students
- To develop courses that meet the demand of our present and future public
- To provide excellent customer service and understanding of our students’ needs
- To work with the community to foster cultural awareness and language upskilling
Our language teachers are all native speakers who qualified to teach either in the UK or in their country of origin. They have extensive teaching experience gained either at the University of Bath or in other higher education institutions.
Undergraduate and postgraduate students at Bath have the opportunity to study a language free of charge.
Undergraduate students can gain extra 3 credits if they attend a language class. The extra credits do not count towards the degree.
Postgraduate students cannot gain credits for attending a language course.
Apply for 2016-2017
- Undergraduate and postgraduate students – Please select your language choice from:
- All students can attend lunchtime, evening and advanced classes, for no credits. Please, see language sections below for details.
You may learn a language in any year of your degree programme. You can join any language stage, provided your previous knowledge is appropriate to the level.
Please contact us if you wish to study more than one language.
- IMPORTANT: BEFORE ENROLLING, PLEASE CHECK YOUR UNIVERSITY TIMETABLE (Department Semester 1 timetables will be available to view from Friday 2nd September 2016)
- if you have enrolled in a class and you discover a timetable clash subsequently, please contact us. DO NOT ENROL YOURSELF IN ANOTHER LANGUAGE CLASS
- classes timetabled in the evenings are part of the Community Courses programme (courses for the General Public) – places for undergraduate and postgraduate students are limited
IF THE CLASS IS FULL, EITHER ENROL ON A DIFFERENT CLASS OR TRY ENROLLING AGAIN THE FOLLOWING DAY: ANY CHANGES TO CLASS AVAILABILITY WILL BE UPDATED DAILY.
3 credit students
Please choose your options below:
Learn a foreign language!
- develop new skills
- help you with your research
- meet other PG students
- enhance your CV and your job prospects
- increase your cultural awareness
Postgraduates at the University of Bath can attend a language course free of charge.
To ensure you are at the right your level, you can complete a language stage test.
Students who enrol in semester 1 may not need not continue in semester 2. Students can join in semester 2, but they need to be at the appropriate level.
Courses do not carry credits and there are no formal assessments; however, regular attendance and commitment are essential for progress. Your attendance in the course will be recorded on SAMIS.
A certificate of attendance can be made available on completion of the year, if you have attended regularly.