Ralph R Martin Cardiff University
I have a distinguished track record of research in a range of visual computing areas. I hold a Chair and lead the Visual Computing research group. I am also a Guest Professor at Tsinghua and two other Universities in China. My publications include about 300 papers and 15 books covering such topics as solid and surface modelling, reverse engineering, computer vision and image processing, and geometric reasoning. I am associate editor-in-chief of “Computational Visual Media”, and on the editorial boards of “Computer Aided Design”, “Computer Aided Geometric Design”, “Geometric Models”, “Computers and Graphics”, and other journals. I was recently awarded a “Friendship Award” by the Chinese Government, their highest award for foreigners.
Honours and awards
- Friendship Award, China, 2014
- Solid Modeling Pioneer Award, Solid Modeling Association, USA, 2016
- 2011: Elected Fellow of the Learned Society of Wales.
- 2011: Elected Fellow of The British Computer Society.
- 1991: Gained Chartered Mathematician Status through the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications.
- 1990: Gained Chartered Engineer Status through the British Computer Society.
- 1989: Elected Fellow of The Institute of Mathematics and its Applications.
- 1987: Elected Member of the British Computer Society.
- 1984: Elected Associate Fellow of The Institute of Mathematics and its Applications.
Previous academic positions
- 2000: Appointed Professor.
- 1999: Promoted to Reader.
- 1995: Promoted to Senior Lecturer.
- 1982: Lecturer, Department of Computing Mathematics (now Computer Science & Informatics), University College, Cardiff (now Cardiff University).
- 1975-1976: Research Programmer, Wolfson Research Institute, Queen Elizabeth Medical Centre,Birmingham.
- 2016: Invited Speaker Workshop on Smart Robotics 2016 Beijing, China
- 2013: Invited Speaker 2013 Conference on Computational Visual Media Hangzhou, China
- 2013: Invited Speaker 14th IMA Mathematics of Surfaces Conference Birmingham UK
- 2012: Invited speaker 3D Visualization, Reconstruction and Applications, Singapore
- 2012: Keynote speaker Solid and Physical Modeling 2012, Dijon, France
- 2009: Keynote speaker Theory and Practice of Computer Graphics’09, Cardiff
- 2008: Invited lecturer Industry Challenges in Geometric Modeling, CAD and Simulation, Darmstadt, Germany
- 2007: Invited plenary lecture CAD’07, Hawaii
and many other earlier engagements since 1991
- 2014-: Member Academic Information Resources Advisory Forum
- 2007-13: Member SCOLAR Forum (Library Special Collections)
- 2006-7: Member University Trevithick Library Refurbishment Project Team; Design won a SCONUL Library Design Award.
and many earlier positions
Professor Ralph Martin
Professor of Geometric Computing
- +44 (0)29 2087 5536