The Open University Yorkshire
The Open University Yorkshire, The Open University in Yorkshire
Associate Lecturer Services Assistant (Part time – 22 hours per week)
Based in Open University Regional Centre, Leeds
Together with an existing member of the team the postholder will arrange Open University tutorials at venues across Yorkshire. The principal areas of responsibility are:
- To arrange tutorial venue room bookings and equipment with host institutions
- To organise the Open University’s Saturday Tutorial centre at Leeds Metropolitan University, including allocating rooms and booking technician support
- To arrange room bookings for additional meetings held at tutorial venues
- Other general clerical duties
In conjunction with work colleague:
- Tutorial venues
- Liaise with tutorial venues to confirm opening and closure dates and update the venue information sheets
- Oversee room bookings and equipment requests at all tutorial venues used by the Region
- Notify tutorial, venues of timetable requirements for the academic year from information supplied by Faculty Assistants
- Book rooms for additional meetings to be held at tutorial venues in liaison with Student Services colleagues
- Liaise with tutorial venues on details of disabled access
- Work with colleagues in other Open University regions to ensure inter-regional tutorial timetables are set up in an accurate and timely manner
- Respond to feedback on venues from users and investigate complaints, taking appropriate action to address problems identified.
- Leeds Metropolitan University
2.1 From information supplied by Staff Tutors and Faculty Assistants organise room bookings and equipment and technician support requested by tutors
2.2 Prepare information about Saturday Day Schools and tutorials on a weekly basis for use by the Saturday Co-ordinator and make ongoing amendments as necessary.
2.3 Prepare the rota of Regional Centre staff to assist at Leeds Metropolitan University on Saturdays
2.4 Liaise with Leeds Metropolitan University to co-ordinate arrangements for Open University students with disabilities attending tutorials and Day Schools
- Maintain records of charges involved in room hire at tutorial venues
- Update budget spreadsheets
- Liaise with tutorial venues regarding invoices
- Check invoices received from tutorial venues and when charges confirmed forward invoice for authorisation by Student Services Manager
- Provide information for management on all aspects of tutorial accommodation costs to assist in budget monitoring and planning
- General duties
4.1 Type correspondence and use e-mail as required to carry out the duties of the post; undertake filing
- Work collaboratively with the other colleague in the tutorial venues area to ensure effective communication and efficiency in service delivery
- Assist with other administrative work as may be required within the Associate Lecturer Services team
- Undertake such other duties of a general nature within the Regional Centre, including switchboard relief cover
- Carry out such other duties as may be specified from time to time by the Regional Director or his/her delegate
PC, printer, photocopier, fax, telephone and other office equipment
Educational standard and experience required
GCSE O level or equivalent In English and Maths
RSA II or equivalent in word processing
Previous experience in a busy office environment
Competence in a range of IT systems
Able to demonstrate a high level of accuracy in data input
Able to demonstrate good telephone manner
Competence in use of Microsoft Office suite
Personal skills and attributes
Effective communication skills both orally and in writing
Ability to work with complex information and procedures
Flexible and adaptable
Good organisational skills combined with a systematic approach to work
Ability to work to deadlines
Ability to work within a team environment and on own initiative
Commitment to equal opportunities practice
The Open University
2 Trevelyan Square
2 Trevelyan Square comprises a five storey grade 2 listed office building constructed behind three retained facades in the City Centre. The ground floor comprises four shop units; two are let to the University.
There are no on-site car parking spaces. There are public car parking facilities nearby.
Unisex toilets with wheelchair access are on levels 1 & 2.
An assistive listening system is permanently installed in the Conference Room only.
There is part coverage on the ground and first floors.
Seating is available for rest purposes.
There is level access from the street.