The Open Oniversity of Tanzania
The Open University of Tanzania (OUT) is a distance learning public university in Tanzania. It was established by an Act of Parliament No. 17 of 1992. It is a single mode institution offering certificate, diploma and degree courses through distance learning. Its Headquarters is situated in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, and conducts its operations through 30 Regional Centres and 70 Study Centres.
The Open University of Tanzania was established by an Act of Parliament No. 17 of 1992. The Act became operational on 1st March, 1993 by publication of Notice No. 55 in the official gazette. The First Chancellor was officially installed in a full ceremony on 19th January, 1994. Act No.17 of 1992 has now been replaced by the Open University of Tanzania Charter, effectively from January 1st, 2007, which is in line with the University Act No.7 of 2005.
The Open University of Tanzania is the first university in the whole of the East Africa region to offer educational programs through Open and Distance Learning mode. This makes OUT peculiar from conventional residential universities. Through Open and Distance Learning, OUT allows flexible learning environment leading to protracted periods of course completion. OUT offers different academic programs which are certificates, diplomas, degrees and postgraduate courses. Educational Delivery is attained through various means of communication such as broadcasting, telecasting, Information and Communication Technologies (ICT), correspondence, enhanced face to face, seminars, contact programs or the combination of any two or more of such means.
“To be a leading world-class University in the delivery of affordable quality education through Open distance learning, dynamic knowledge generation and application
To continuously provide quality Open and distance education, research and public services for sustainable and equitable socio-economic development of Tanzania in particular and rest of Africa’
GUIDING PLAN THEME:
Commitment to quality outputs, integrity and pursuit for the provision of affordable quality education for all.
As provided in the Universities Act No.7 of 2005 and the OUT charter 2007 the functions of the Open University of Tanzania are:
- To preserve and transmit knowledge by teaching through various means including the use of modern technological means, tuition, residential courses and services.
- Conduct research and consultancy by addressing social, economic and development problems of the community.
- Promote the educational wellbeing of the Tanzania community by offering demand driven courses.
- Provide opportunities for higher Education to a broad segment of the population predominantly trough Open and distance education.
- Conduct examinations for and to grant degrees, diplomas, certificates and other awards of the University.
- Promote collaboration and partnership in acquisition provision and application of higher education at institutional regional and international levels.
- To promote equity and widen access to education to marginalized and disadvantaged groups.
- To promote gender equity and mainstreaming in the acquisition, provision and application of higher Education.
- To address the HIVI AIDS pandemic in the course of offering higher education.
It consists of:
- Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Business Management
- Faculty of Science, Technology and Environmental Studies
- Institute of Continuing Education
- Institute of Educational and Management Technologies
- Directorate of Regional Services
- Directorate of Research and Postgraduate Studies