Newman University Kansas

Newman University, Birmingham Logo

Newman University Kansas

Newman University Kansas

 

 

Newman University Kansas

Why Newman?

  • Service, cooperation and spirit are just a few reasons why students love it here.

 

Founded in 1933, Newman University is grounded in Catholic values and traditions, yet is respectful of all faith traditions. At Newman you’ll find people, programs, organizations and activities designed to educate your mind and inspire your spirit.

The main campus is located in Wichita, Kansas with outreach sites in Southeast Kansas, Western Kansas, Colorado Springs, Colorado. and Tulsa and Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

Newman is a sponsored ministry of the Adorers of the Blood of Christ, United States Region.

Core Values

Newman University’s Mission Statement is grounded in the following Core Values:

Catholic Identity (“We are a Catholic university…)

As a Catholic institution of higher learning, Newman finds guidance in Ex corde ecclesiae and other teachings of the Catholic Church and draws nourishment from its relationships with surrounding Catholic communities and dioceses. At the same time, our Catholic identity is distinctively shaped by the influence both of our founders and sponsors, the Adorers of the Blood of Christ, and of our namesake, the Catholic theologian and educator John Henry Cardinal Newman. From the Adorers, we receive our special mission of developing and empowering our graduates to work for the betterment of society—a mission inspired by the Adorers’ own founder, Saint Maria De Mattias. From Cardinal Newman, we inherit our vision of the university as an institution that educates the whole person to seek the truth and to lead a meaningful and purposeful life. Finally, with a strong liberal arts foundation, our curriculum honors the richness and vitality of our Catholic intellectual heritage while affirming the value of dialogue involving persons of varied cultures and religious traditions.

HISTORY:

Newman University: Celebrating Its 83rd Anniversary

The origins of Newman University can be traced to the village of Acuto, Italy, where in 1834 a young woman named Maria De Mattias founded the order of religious women, which would become the university’s sponsoring religious congregation, the Adorers of the Blood of Christ [ASC]. Following the example of Maria—who was elevated to sainthood in 2003—the ASC were primarily a teaching order. The sisters came to the United States beginning in 1870, settling near St. Louis. In 1893, they were missioned to Westphalia, KS, and by 1902, they had come as far west as Wichita, Kansas.  They purchased a six-acre piece of land, which Henry Dugan, a local farmer, had donated to the Catholic Diocese when Most Rev. J. J. Hennessy was bishop of Wichita.  Here the Adorers established St. John’s Institute, a boarding school for girls. The following year (1903) a boys’ school was added. This former Dugan property would eventually become the heart of the Newman University campus.

In the 1920s, a growing demand for state certified teachers led to the formation of the Sisters College of the Diocese of Wichita, a branch of the Municipal University of Wichita [now Wichita State University]. This arrangement lasted five years. In 1933, Mother Beata Netemeyer, who was named the first provincial of the Wichita Adorers in 1929, decided to establish Sacred Heart Junior College with the guidance and assistance of Leon A. McNeill, a member of the diocesan clergy and the superintendent of the Diocesan Catholic Schools.

The college officially opened on September 12, 1933, with “no personnel, no finances and very limited facilities” at the height of the Great Depression then engulfing the world. Despite the obstacles, the college steadily developed, training the sisters as teachers and providing education for lay women in teacher education, nursing, secretarial science and home economics. The objective of the college was the “development of a true and finished Christian character” to enable students to be honorable and useful citizens of the world. The first graduating class of 1935 numbered 17.

 

 

The Honors Program strives to enhance opportunities available to high-achieving students to enable them to meet their academic potential fully.