Manchester Metropolitan University for International Students

Manchester Metropolitan University LogoManchester Metropolitan University for International Students

Do I need to apply for a visa?

You will need a visa to study in the UK unless:

  • you are a British citizen
  • you are a citizen of a European Economic Area (EEA) member state or Switzerland
  • you have a visa to stay in the UK for another purpose that allows you to study, such as a dependant visa where you are the husband/wife/partner/child of someone in the UK

If you do not fall into one of the above categories, you will need to apply for one of the following study visas:

  • Tier 4 (General) Student: Students who are studying full time on a full degree programme, International Foundation year or pre-sessional English programme should apply for this visa. Some students using this visa are permitted to bring dependants to the UK with them, please see the UK Council for International Student Affairs for more information. Please be aware that a Tier 4 visa will not be granted for part-time study.
  • Short Term Study: A short term study visa is suitable if you are studying for up to 6 months, for example returning to resit exams or are on an exchange or distance learning course. Students taking an English language course that is between 6-11 months long are able to apply for an extended 11 month short term study visa.

If you require immigration advice for your family or friends who will visit you whilst you are studying at Manchester Met, you are returning to attend your graduation ceremony, or you wish to visit Manchester Met prior to accepting your offer, please refer to our Visiting the UK section.

Need more help?

The Immigration & Welfare Team is available to meet students at a drop-in session on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9.30-11.30am and 1.30-3.30pm at the Business School Hub, Manchester Campus. Alternatively, you can contact the team by email or telephone +44 (0)161 247 1022 (option 3), please provide your student ID number and as much information as possible relating to your enquiry.

Please note, the Immigration & Welfare Team is only able to provide advice to applicants, enrolled students and recent graduates.


The Immigration & Welfare Team provides a confidential advice service and any information it receives will not be disclosed to others outside the University. The only exceptions to this rule are:

  • Where you have given your explicit consent to disclose information to others
  • Where you, or others, are considered by us to be in danger
  • If the provision of such information is required by the law
  • To meet compliance obligations for immigration authorities or the police under the Points Based System or OISC Inspection

Please be aware that our immigration advisers are employees of the University and information provided to us that could jeopardise the University’s Tier 4 sponsor licence will be passed to our Compliance Team.

Regulation of Immigration Advice

Immigration advice in the UK is regulated by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) and anyone providing immigration advice or services must comply with the OISC’s Code of Standards. Manchester Met also complies with the UKCISA Code of Practice.

The Immigration & Welfare Team is authorised to give immigration advice to students of Manchester Met and their family members and seeks to provide a fair and honest advisory service. Our advisers work within their level of competency, if your situation is complex you may be advised to seek the help of a solicitor.

If you have a complaint about the service we provide please raise it with us and we will aim to resolve the complaint directly. If we are not able to resolve your complaint, you should follow Manchester Met’s complaints procedure.

If necessary, you can also register your complaint with the OISC:

The Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner
5th Floor
21 Bloomsbury Street
Tel: 0207 211 1500