Liverpool John Moores University Disability support

Liverpool John Moores University logo

Liverpool John Moores University Disability support

What support is available for disabled students?

You may not need support, but if you do there are a number of ways we can help.

As a student with a disability there is a huge variety of services and support available to you. Below you’ll find information about those services and how you can access them during your time at Liverpool John Moores University.

Let us know about your disability

The Disability Advice Team

The Disability Advice Team will help you access the support you need. The best time to contact the Disability Advice Team is before you start your course. By contacting the team before you begin and disclosing your disability, you’ll be able to receive support from when you arrive.

To let the team know that you have a disability, please contact us – we’ll be happy to help:


Call: 0151 231 3164/3165

Services available

What support is on offer? Click on the tabs below to find out:

As a home disabled student you may be eligible for Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA). The DSA is a grant that will help you meet the extra course costs you may face as a direct result of your disability, an ongoing health condition, a mental health condition or a specific learning difficulty.

To find out if you are eligible for DSA or to find out how much funding you could receive as part of your DSA, please visit the government Disabled Students’ Allowance webpages. You can also apply for your DSA on these pages. It is important that you fill in the correct form, so if you’re unsure, please contact the Disability Advice Team for further assistance using the details below.

International and EU students might be eligible for support. Please contact the Disability Advice Team using the details below to find out more.

Tel: 0151 231 3164/3165

Liverpool John Moores University Disability support

If you need to make adaptations to accommodation please contact the Accommodation Office:

Tel: 0151 231 4166

Your Disability Coordinator can help you before you apply to study with us and they will also be there to help you when you are a Liverpool John Moores University student too. They can talk to you about lots of things, including:

  • Disclosing your disability
  • Academic support
  • Exam support
  • Disabled Students’ Allowance
  • Study skills

Your Disability Coordinator can also help you figure out what support you may need. For example, you might not have thought about the types of support that would be usefuel in an academic environment, such as a voice recorder. Every Faculty within the University has its own Disability Coordinator. If you would like them to, your Disability Coordinator will share your Individual Student Learning Plan with all relevant academic staff. This is useful because it means that staff will know how to support you effectively during your time with us.

To contact a Disability Coordinator please use the details below:

Tel: 0151 231 3164/3165

Your Individual Student Learning Plan (ISLP) sets out the type of support you may need and who is responsible for ensuring your support is in place. Your Disability Adviser will provide you with your ISLP once you have met to discuss your study needs. You may also need a formal Needs Assessment. The information in your ISLP is taken from this Needs Assessment. Once finalised, your plan will be sent to you via email. As soon as you have agreed the ISLP it will be sent to your Disability Coordinator and then, with your agreement, passed on to the relevant academic and support staff.