Birmingham City University Human Resources
Our Human Resource Management degree equips you with the tools you need to develop the high-performing personnel and innovative teams demanded by business.
This BA (Hons) course teaches you about the importance of motivating and managing people within a business, showing you the link between successful performance and the people you employ. Drawing upon all aspects of people management enables you not only to gain the building blocks of knowledge and understanding but also a high degree of professional competence in the field of people management and development.
The course is aligned to the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (accreditation subject to approval), demonstrating the high quality provision of our course. You will keep up-to-date with the latest issues and innovations in human resources, supported by your lecturers who have experience of working with some of the biggest names in business, such as Marks & Spencer, Selfridges, Nestle and Jaguar Land Rover.
What’s covered in the course?
You will develop your skills through real projects, field trips and interactive workshops. This work-integrated approach to learning means that graduates of this course leave with real, practical experience, working for companies such as Superdry and National Express. This course draws upon all aspects of people management, enabling you not only to build knowledge and understanding but also a high degree of professional competence in the field of people management and development.
You will have the option to undertake a work placement to gain practical work experience within a business, ensuring you are prepared for a successful career from the moment you graduate.
We will develop your attributes so you’ll graduate with the potential to become a full corporate member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD).
Why Choose Us?
- This degree course is aligned with the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD). This means that the course is as professionally relevant and up-to-date as possible, taking into account the very latest developments in the profession.
- On all of our programmes you will gain a professional focus and real world experience of human resource management, ensuring you are equipped to make an immediate impact in the business world. You have the opportunity to embark on a year-long sandwich placement as part of your degree course.
- Everything we do starts with business so naturally we have strong links with key organisations in the local community, such as Birmingham City Council and the NHS, and accrediting bodies such as the CIPD, bringing you closer to industry professionals and providing you with key contacts.
- You’ll hear from leading industry speakers, who will offer relevant, contemporary advice and insight into the latest sector developments.
- Recognising the global scope of business, all our programmes have an international focus. This is embedded throughout the curriculum, giving you the opportunity to transform your experience with us into a global one. There are a variety of exciting possibilities open to you, ranging from our successful international travel scholarships scheme, through which you can spend a summer working for a charitable organisation overseas, to one of our many overseas study exchange programmes.
- As a student on one of our undergraduate degrees, you will be able to benefit from our Graduate+ initiative. This three-year award programme enables you to gain award levels for all the extra-curricular activities you undertake so that you can stand out from the crowd on graduation.
- Our enthusiastic, approachable staff, who come from all areas of Human Resource Management with some currently still practising privately, have designed every module to bring the key principles to life, with built-in employability and research skills.
- We use real life case studies and hold mock tribunals so your experience is as close as possible to industry practice.
- The course will prepare you for modern management alongside your HRM specialisation, whether you choose to work for a multinational company, the public sector or a not-for-profit organisation.
- You will study in our state-of-the-art City Centre Campus, ideally located for you to take advantage of our links to Birmingham’s business district, one of the largest in the UK.