Aberystwyth University Health And Safety
General Health and Safety
- AEEU (Amalgamated Engineering and Electrical Union)
- Amicus MSF (Manufacturing Science Finance)
- Association of Sandwich Education and Training, ASET (student work placement best practice)
- AUT (Association of University Teachers) n.b. now University and College Union – UCU
- Back Care
- British Safety Council
- Building Regulations (Planning Portal)
- Building Services Research and Information Association (BSRIA)
- British Standards Online
- Chartered Institute of Environmental Health
- Construction Health and Safety (HSE website)
- Croner Health and Safety Website (general information and news)
- Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) (UK Government – supersedes the ODPM)
- Department for Culture, Media and Sport (UK Government)
- Department for Transport (UK Government – supersedes transport aspects of the old DTLR)
- Electrical Safety (HSE website)
- ELWa Property Section (including Estates Management Manual)
- Emergency Preparedness – Civil Contingencies (UK Govt Resilience site)
- European Agency for Safety and Health at Work
- Fire Net (British Fire Services)
- Fire Protection Association
- Fire & Electrical Safety – Product Recalls (List of products recalled for safety reasons – Electrical Safety Council)
- First Aid Cafe (General first aid info site and discussion group)
- Health Protection Agency (HPA) (England & Wales Gov organisation)
- Home Office (UK Government)
- Health and Safety Executive (HSE)
- HSE Books and Other Publications
- HSE Books and Other Publications (Welsh language)
- HSE free leaflets
- HSE Health Directorate on-line publications
- HSE Prosecutions Area (Database of prosecutions and breaches in the UK)
- HSE ‘ready reckoner’ to calculate costs of accidents at work
- HSE Risk Management site
- HSE Stress Management site
- HSE Temperature in the Workplace Site
- Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH)
- Institute of Safety in Technology and Research (ISTR)
- Local Authorities Health and Safety Enforcement (HELA)
- Means of Escape (Online fire safety magazine)
- Mobile Telephones and Health (UK Department of Health information)
- Mobile Telephones – AGNIR report 2004 (NRPB response)
- Mobile Telephones – NRPB Radio Wave Survey 2004 (NRPB site)
- Mobile Telephones and Health – NRPB report 2005 (NRPB site)
- National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting (useful domestic electricity guidance)
- Occupational Road Safety Alliance (road safety at work)
- Organisations concerned with H&S Information (HSE site)
- Respiratory Protective Equipment RPE Selector Tool
- Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA)
- Safety Assessment Federation
- Safety Directory
- SafetyNews (News and information, also products, consultancies and training links)
- Security Industry Authority (licensing authority)
- Tips and Advice: Health and Safety
- Trades Union Congress (TUC)
- UCU University and College Union
- Universities Safety and Health Association (USHA)
- Workers’ Health International Newsletter
The Committee may invite other University officers to attend meetings in an observer capacity and, where necessary, to provide expert information and advice.
Those in ‘in attendance’ shall be entitled to arrange for a deputy to attend individual meetings on their behalf, on the understanding that the deputy should be of appropriate standing, be well informed and able to contribute to discussions with the required authority.
Four of the Committee members shall constitute a quorum, as long as either:
1. Two Independent Members are present; or
2. At least one Independent Member and one Trade Union Representative are present.
The Health, Safety and Environment Committee is responsible for advising Council on the discharge of its duty as the body with ultimate responsibility for Health and Safety matters at Aberystwyth University.
The Committee is authorised by the Council to investigate any activity within its terms of reference.
The Committee shall be supported by a Health, Safety and Environment Operational Group, the members of which shall have access to all papers presented to the Health, Safety and Environment Committee for information.
Terms of Reference
1. To consider and recommend for Council approval:
1. Strategies relating to Safety, Occupational Health, and Environmental matters; and
2. Health and Safety policy statements, and associated documents setting out individual responsibilities.
2. To approve the annual report on Health and Safety activities at the University, which in turn shall be considered by the Council.
3. To receive and, where relevant, to make suitable recommendations to Council:
1. A report at each meeting by the Director of the Health, Safety and Environment department on Health and Safety activities at the University, to include a summary of all incident and accidents, and RIDDOR injuries;
2. Audit reports on Health, Safety and Environment matters at the University, including the biennial Insurance Surveyors’ Report;
3. A copy of the institution’s latest Health, Safety and Environment risk register;
4. Regular reports on Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) relating to Health, Safety and Environment matters at the University;
5. Specific reports on Radiation Protection, Fire Safety, Asbestos, Genetic Modification, and Biocides.
4. To monitor changes in legislation and good practice relating to Health, Safety and the Environment, and ensure that all strategies and policies are revised as necessary.
5. To ensure that all levels of University management are aware of their safety and environmental obligations.
6. To receive reports following meetings of the Health, Safety and Environment Operational Group.
7. To review the Committee’s terms of reference on an annual basis, and recommend to Council any necessary revisions.
Where particular strategies and policies have financial and / or resource implications which have not already been allowed for in the budget, these shall also be presented to the Finance and Strategy Committee for consideration.