University Of Greenwich Tier 4 Guidance

University Of Greenwich Tier 4 Guidance

Tier 4 (General) student visa

Applying for a visa from outside the UK

If you are outside of the UK and making an application for a new Tier 4 (General) student visa you can obtain guidance and an application on the Home Office (UK Visas and Immigration, UKVI)website.

Documents you need to send with your application:

  • Your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number from the University of Greenwich
  • Any documents, such as academic certificates, that are listed in the CAS
  • An ATAS certificate, if this is required for your programme (we will tell you whether you need an ATAS certificate when we send you your CAS Number).
  • Your bank statements, letter of official financial sponsorship or confirmation of an official loan.
  • Your Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) number.  This is obtained from the UK Government website, and should be included as part of your visa application.

Evidence of funds

You must be able to provide evidence that you have sufficient funds, in addition to your tuition fees, to live in the UK. The UKVI considers our Greenwich and Avery Hill Campuses as “In London” and our Medway Campus as “Outside London”.

You must show that you have held this money for a 28 day period, ending no more than one month before your visa applications.

University Of Greenwich Tier 4 Guidance

Financial document requirements

Under the current rules, the funds must be held in an account in the name of the student applying for the visa. Funds can also be held in a joint bank account, as long as one of the account holders is the student. In certain circumstances, it may be possible for financial documents from parents to be used.

Detailed information on financial requirements is available on the UKVI website.

Need help?

If you are experiencing problems or need any assistance with your offer or applying for your visa, please contact the International Office and we will do our best to help, or help you find the correct source of information.

We have a Tier 4 Visa Application Guide – Applying from outside of the UK (Entry Clearance) document which provides guidance on applying for your visa.  If you would like a copy, please email us.

Extending your visa when in the UK

If you are extending your visa in the UK, you should read Tier 4 (General) student visa informationprovided by the UKVI, in particular the policy guidance document setting out the precise requirements of a Tier 4 (General) student visa application.

You should also read the UK Council for International Students Affair’s well written and highly recommended guide to making a student immigration application in the UK.

Visas and immigration

The majority of international students studying at the University of Greenwich will require a visa to study. For most international students this will be a Tier 4 (General) student visa. UK student visas are institution specific. The University of Greenwich holds a Tier 4 sponsor licence and we are listed on the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) register as a Tier 4 Sponsor.

It is a student’s responsibility to ensure that they are in possession of an appropriate and valid visa to commence their studies with the university.

For official information about the points based system, please refer to the UKVI website.

University Of Greenwich Tier 4 Guidance

Information for international applicants is also available from the UK Council for International Student Affairs website.

If your query is not covered by the above, please e-mail the International Office where we will be happy to assist you.

Do not be a victim of fraud, tricks or scams – if you get an email, telephone call or letter from someone pretending to be the Home Office, please be advised that there is a dedicated webpage on the Home Office website which informs you how to protect yourself and how to report anything suspicious.

Our International Student Advice Service also has information about imm