University of Wales Trinity Saint David Wiki
University of Wales Trinity Saint David Wiki, The University of Wales Trinity Saint David (Welsh: Prifysgol Cymru Y Drindod Dewi Sant) is a collegiate university operating on three main campuses in South West Wales: in Carmarthen, Lampeter, and Swansea. The university also has a fourth campus in London, England.
The university came into existence through the merger of the two oldest higher education institutions in Wales, the University of Wales, Lampeter (UWL) and Trinity University College (TUC) in 2010, under Lampeter’s royal charter of 1828. In 2011, it was announced that the University of Wales would also be merged into Trinity Saint David. On 1 August 2013 the university merged with Swansea Metropolitan University.
The Patron of the university is the Prince of Wales, the President of Trinity Saint David is R. Brinley Jones and the Vice-Chancellor is Medwin Hughes.
Trinity Saint David received the supplementary royal charter that brought it into existence in July 2010 thereby merging University of Wales, Lampeter (UWL) and Trinity University College (TUC).
In 2008, a QAA report on UWL concluded that although the quality of Lampeter’s degrees were satisfactory, they had “limited confidence” in the institution’s quality assurance procedures and systems. Further to this assessment, HEFCW commissioned a further report which found “very real problems of leadership and management” at the university. As a direct result, in December 2008, UWL announced that it was in merger talks with TUC with the intention of forming a new university in Wales. This was formally announced in April 2009, when the institution’s new name, University of Wales, Trinity Saint David, was revealed. The university received its first students in September 2010. The name of the institution is a combination of the original name of UWL and the latter name of TUC.
In June 2010, a declaration of intent was announced between Trinity Saint David, Swansea Metropolitan University, Coleg Ceredigion, Coleg Sir Benfro and Coleg Sir Gâr to establish a South-West Wales regional post-16 further education and higher education educational group. In December 2010 it was announced that the university will merge with Swansea Metropolitan University. The FE colleges will merge into one educational group, whilst the HE institutions will be merging into another educational group, with both working closely within the region.
In October 2011, it was announced that the University of Wales would also be merged into Trinity St David. A London campus was opened in 2012. In August 2012, it was announced that Coleg Sir Gar would be merged with Trinity Saint David, making Trinity Saint David a combined Higher Education and Further Education institution. On 1 August 2013 the university merged with Swansea Metropolitan University.
The Lampeter campus includes a number of academic, utility and residential buildings.
Charles Robert Cockerell designed the original college building, now called the Saint David’s Building (informally known as Old Building or OB by students) in the centre of the grounds. It is a Grade II* listed building and contains lecture rooms, administrative offices, student residential accommodation and the following three main areas:
The Old Hall was the College dining hall until the Lloyd Thomas refectory was opened in 1969, and later fell into disuse until 1991 when it was re-opened after much restoration; it is now used as one of the university’s principal venues for meetings, dinners and conferences and is often hired out to outside organisations. It is also used for examinations and occasional lectures.
The Old Hall also contains paintings of various principals, presidents, benefactors, vice-chancellors et al. including the founder of the University Bishop Thomas Burgess, Maurice Jones, Thomas Price, Llewelyn Lewellin, Edward Harold Browne, Keith Robbins and Brian Robert Morris.
St David’s Chapel was consecrated in 1827. In 1879, it was rebuilt according to the specifications of the architect Thomas Graham Jackson of Cambridge and re-opened on 24 June 1880. It was again refurbished during the 1930s, mainly through the provision of a new reredos (incorporating depictions of St David, Christ and St Deiniol in 1933 and a major overhaul of the organ in 1934. The chapel is provided with a dedicated chaplain and services are held here on Sundays and throughout the week as well as on saints’ days and major festivals. These are generally well-attended by a mixture of staff, students and alumni.
The Founders’ Library, named after its founders — Thomas Burgess, Thomas Bowdler and Thomas Phillips — was the College’s library until the new library opened in 1966 and later housed the priceless collection of the university’s oldest printed books (1470–1850) and manuscripts (the earliest being from the 13th century) unique to the university, given to St David’s College from 1822 onwards, as well as the university’s archives. In 2005, it was announced that a new £700,000 extension, The Roderic Bowen Library & Archives, was to be built adjoining the Main Library to house the university’s manuscripts, as the Founders’ Library was not environmentally suitable for such valuable documents. This extension to the main library was completed and opened in 2008.
The former Founders’ Library was subsequently refurbished and was reopened by HRH Charles, Prince of Wales to provide outside conference and seminar facilities.
Organisation and governance
The university is made up of the Faculty of Humanities (primarily based within the Lampeter campus), the Faculty of Education and Training, and the Faculty of Arts and Social Studies (both primarily based within the Carmarthen campus) each providing courses such as theology, religious studies, philosophy, classics, anthropology, archaeology, ancient history, English, history, drama, film studies, business management, IT, education studies and Initial Teacher Education and Training.
Each Faculty is led by a Dean — who is an academic appointed to oversee the day-to-day running of each faculty — and each School is managed by a Head of School.
- Faculty of Arts and Social Studies
- School of Art, Film and Media
- School of Business
- School of Sport, Health and Outdoor Education
- School of Performing Arts / Ysgol y Celfyddydau Perfformio
Based on Carmarthen Campus
- Faculty of Education and Training
- School of Early Childhood
- School of Initial Teacher Education and Training
- School of Social Justice and Inclusion
- School of Welsh and Bilingual Studies
- Associate Faculty (AUR (Anelu’n Uwch at Ragoriaeth) – Going For Gold)
Based on Carmarthen Campus
- Faculty of Humanities
- School of Archaeology, History and Anthropology
- School of Classics
- School of Cultural Studies
- Department of Chinese Studies
- Department of Creative Writing
- Department of English & English with TEFL
- Department of Philosophy
- School of Theology, Religion and Islamic Studies
- Confucius Institute
This faculty is based on Lampeter Campus but programmes in Creative Writing, English, and Theology, Religion and Islamic Studies are offered on both campuses.
- Faculty of Applied Design and Engineering
- The Swansea School of Glass
- The School of Automotive Engineering
- The School of Built and Natural Environment
- The School of Applied Computing
- The School of Digital Media
- The School of Industrial Design (inc. Product & Automotive Design)
- The School of Logistics and Manufacturing Engineering
Based on Mount Pleasant campus, Swansea
- Faculty of Art and Design
- School of Contextual Studies and Visual Communication
- School of Fine and Applied Arts
- School of Photography and Video
- School of Research and Post Graduate Studies
Based on the Dynevor Centre for Art, Design and Media, Swansea
- Faculty of Humanities and Performing Arts
- Swansea School of Education
- School of Performance and Literature
- School of Psychology and Counselling
Based on Townhill campus, Swansea
- Wales International Academy of Voice, Cardiff
- Faculty of Business and Management
- Swansea Business School
- School of Leisure, Tourism and Sport
- School of Public Service Leadership
Based on High Street campus, Swansea