University of Sheffield Travel Insurance

University of Sheffield Logo

University of Sheffield Travel Insurance

Travel Insurance and Personal Accident

Royal Sun Alliance, Policy number RKK699045

All staff and students are covered by the University’s travel insurance where travel is made on University business.

To arrange overseas cover please enter your details here which will produce a certificate for you to download/email.

UK trips with an overnight stay or a flight/rail travel, will automatically be covered without the need to report.

There is no charge for travel insurance cover.


A summary of the policy is available here.
Emergency contact details and pre-travel advice is available here.

Exclusions and Excesses

There is a £50 standard excess on this travel and personal accident policy – the University will be unable to deal with any claims under this amount. Please note that if you are claiming for cancellation and curtailment or your trip is over 6 months in duration those excesses advised will apply instead.

For any trips over 6 months in duration there will be a £250 policy excess in respect of each and every claim under the following sections of the policy:

  • Medical and emergency travel expenses
  • Baggage
  • Money and Credit Cards

Please note that for all trips up to 12 months in duration the £100 cancellation and curtailment policy excess will remain unchanged.

All trips to areas that the Foreign Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all but essential/advise against all travel must be referred to the insurance office for authorization.

Please note that if travel is arranged without the prior knowledge of the insurance office, cover may not be in place.

You can check your destinations status here:

Key Points

  • The maximum duration of any single trip must not exceed 12 months without prior notification to the Insurance office
  • Incidental personal holiday – We can normally cover up to 2 weeks incidental holiday tagged onto a business trip as long as it is in the same country and the duration of the business trip outweighs the length of the personal time. These holiday dates must be included in the travel form that you arrange for the business trip. For example; we would not be able to cover a 2 week holiday after a 7 or 10 day conference but if you were away on University business for 3 weeks and then stayed on for another week in the same area then this would be covered
  • Pre-existing medical conditions are covered providing travel is not contrary to medical advice.
  • Accompanying spouses and children can be covered for the duration of a business trip on the authority of departments.
  • If you need to return to the UK early whilst on a business trip due to illness, please seek medical advice from First Assist for approval.

Travel Assistance App

Our travel insurers RSA have made a travel assistance app available for download through apple, google play, windows store and blackberry store.

This provides a summary of the travel insurance policy to download along with details of the medical and security assistance available which can be telephoned directly if needed.

Screenshots of how to locate the app and how to access it are below.

Travel App Image 1 Travel App Image 2 Travel App Image 3

How to Make a Claim

When travelling please take a note of the emergency assist numbers. Medical assistance is provided by Healix and Security Assistance is provided by Drum Cussac.

Policy number: RKK699045 (Royal Sun Alliance)
Helpline: +44 (0) 20 8763 3155 (24 hours a day, 365 days a year)

To make a claim, please click here.

Emergency contact details and pre-travel advice is available here.

Useful Links


Need Help or More Information?

Who to Contact
Please contact Joanne Rollitt in the insurance team for advice and guidance on insurance issues, email, or telephone 0114 2221510.

Please see our frequently asked questions.