University of Sheffield TEF
Teaching Excellence Framework
Teaching Excellence Framework: Year two statement of findings for The University of Sheffield
The University of Sheffield has been awarded TEF Silver. This award was made in June 2017 and is valid for up to three years.
The TEF Panel reviewed the provider metrics and provider submission according to the process and criteria specified in the TEF guidance.
The University metrics, supplemented by the submission, indicate that most students achieve excellent outcomes. High levels of continuation and progression to employment are achieved across both full and part-time provision. The metrics indicate particularly strong employment outcomes among mature students. Student satisfaction with assessment and feedback is below benchmark for some student groups and the Panel deemed this is partly addressed in the University submission.
The Panel considered all the information in the provider submission in relation to the TEF
criteria and its judgement reflects in particular, evidence of:
- excellent outcomes in terms of progression to employment are underpinned by a series of targeted programmes including volunteering, internships for graduates in the locality and a programme to support widening participation students in gaining work experience with local businesses
- students learn in a research-led environment, characterised by engaged learning, combining academic rigour and disciplinary knowledge with real-world connections
- formal systems effectively engage students in the enhancement of all areas of provision leading to positive changes in the student experience
- strong academic and pastoral support systems that deliver tailored provision, as reflected in the high rate of continuation and excellent outcomes among full-time students and mature students in particular
- high quality physical and digital learning environment developed in consultation with staff and students which are used by students to enhance learning.
Overall, the TEF Panel judged that the combination of evidence in the provider metrics and the provider submission best fits the descriptor for a Silver award.
For further information see: www.hefce.ac.uk/TEFoutcomes