University of Portsmouth Computer Science
With computers infiltrating every element of our society, we now need specialist people to create, understand and advance computer science.
Through the study of computer hardware, software, programming, computation and information processing, this course enables you to specialise in the more technical aspects of computer systems design.
What will I experience?
On this course you can:
- Apply your skills to real-life practical problems as part of the department’s partnership scheme with charities, local and global organisations
- Design and develop software, hardware and networks for a variety of fields such as digital forensics and artificial intelligence
- Opt to do a salaried placement year
What opportunities might it lead to?
Accredited by BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT for the purposes of fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered IT Professional (CITP). This course also partially meets the academic requirement for registration, either as a Chartered Scientist (CSci) or (on behalf of the Engineering Council) as a Chartered Engineer (CEng).
Studying this degree will enable you to gain employment in a variety of fields in the computing industry.
Here are some routes our graduates have pursued:
- IT management
- network design
- software engineering
- computer programming
- web development
Become a teacher
If you are interested in becoming a Computer Science teacher, you could combine your computing studies with teacher training and school teaching placements. If you are successful, you will receive a £9000 bursary in your final year and gain Qualified Teacher Status alongside your BSc Computer Science degree, allowing you to apply for a teaching position.
- UCAS COURSE CODE:
- 3 years full time, 4 years sandwich with work placement
- 2017 ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
- The UCAS tariff for 2017 entry has changed. See how this affects your tariff scoreA LEVELS
104-120 points to include a minimum of 2 A levels or equivalent. See full entry requirements
We accept UCAS points from other qualifications. See full details and English Language qualifications
- 2018 ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
- A LEVELS
104-120 points to include a minimum of 2 A levels, or equivalent. See full entry requirements