University of Oxford Travel Insurance

University of Oxford Logo

University of Oxford Travel Insurance


Due to the ever increasing demands on the University travel insurance policy due to the type of travel undertaken and the increasing number of claims made, it has been necessary to alter certain non-essential benefits in order to continue to provide the necessary and comprehensive emergency assistance package. These changes are summarised below:

  • Personal Money: the limit for personal money has been reduced from £10,000 to £3,000.  It is recommended that travellers only carry small amounts of cash when they travel from both a security and safety perspective.
  • Please note arrangements for cover for University cash can be made with the Insurance Office, where it is viewed as absolutely necessary for cash to be carried, and subject to the necessary risk assessment process.
  • Personal Belongings: the limit for personal belongings has been reduced from £10,000 to £5,000. Travellers should consider carefully the need to carry valuable items when travelling. If high value personal items must be taken then travellers should consider a private insurance arrangement to cover such items.
  • Please note: University owned items are covered under the University’s contents insurance policy, subject to the usual terms and conditions of cover.
  • Delay Benefit: the delay benefit (currently Nil for the first 4 hours, followed by £50 for each subsequent hour up to a maximum of £250) has been removed from the policy.
  • Personal Accident: the personal accident maximum benefit has been increased from £50,000 to £100,000

The changes will take effect from 1 August 2016. For persons who have already arranged their insurance and/or departed before 1 August 2016, the previous limits will apply.

The University provides travel insurance for University employees, students and volunteers travelling within the UK or worldwide on University business.

  • Employee is any person under a contract of services or apprenticeship, work experience or secondment with the University and includes those employed on a temporary or casual contract. It does not include consultants engaged on consultancy contracts.
  • Volunteer is any person approved as a volunteer by the department and University, acting under the University’s direction and control, and not receiving payment for time either from the University or any other organisation.
  • Student includes all current student members of the University and includes visiting students under the supervision, direction and control of the University.

For cover to be operative the traveller must be acting on University business