University of the Highlands and Islands Nursing
If you are looking for an exciting and rewarding career, nursing could be for you.
The University of the Highlands and Islands offers you the opportunity to undertake a nursing degree in the Highlands or Western Isles of Scotland leading to professional registration as an Adult or Mental Health nurse with the Nursing and Midwifery Council. Our BSc in Nursing Programme is an innovative programme that combines the best of teaching, technology, simulation and practice experience to prepare you for an exciting career in nursing. You will be able to experience nursing care in different hospital and community settings and to study at our Department of Nursing in Inverness (Adult and Mental Health Nursing) or Stornoway (Adult Nursing only). Our students will also have the opportunity to undertake international exchanges.
Nursing education in the Highlands and Western Isles has a long and successful history, more recently nursing degrees have been awarded by the University of Stirling and the experienced staff delivering these award-winning programmes will continue to do so with the University of Highlands and Islands.
Your programme will provide you with the knowledge and skills to gain entry to the Nursing Midwifery Council as a registered nurse. The primary purpose of the NMC is protection of the public. It does this through maintaining a register of all qualified nurses, midwives and specialist community public health nurses eligible to practise within the UK and by setting national standards for their education, training and conduct.
The aim of the programme is to support your development into a confident, and competent nurse who can provide effective compassionate care in a range of care settings. You will have the opportunity to develop skills of critical reading, appreciation and analysis, numeracy and literacy.
- Academic qualification (BSc) and gain NMC registration
- Opportunities to experience and learn about nursing practice in different contexts including overseas placement opportunities
- Dynamic career opportunities within Scotland, the UK and beyond
- Study in the heart of the beautiful Highlands and Western Isles of Scotland
- Internationally acknowledged academics
- Exciting placement opportunities in hospital and community settings
- Option to take an elective to study abroad
- Opportunities to meet and work alongside student nurses from oversees
- Innovative teaching and learning approaches
- Student centred and student focused curriculum
This programme is aimed at school or college leavers and mature entrants who have the desire and aptitude to care for patients, carers and their families.