University of the Highlands and Islands Lews Castle College

University of the Highlands and Islands Lews Castle College

Lews Castle College is a further and higher education college in the Western Isles of Scotland. The main campus is in the grounds of Lews Castle, Stornoway. The College also has two learning centres in Benbecula and Barra. The College is part of the University of the Highlands and Islands.

The College opened in September 1953; its first principal was Colonel John Macsween. It was originally run by the local authority. It had 83 students and 9 full-time faculty members. In 1993, the College became an independent entity under the Further and Higher Education (Scotland) Act 1992. The Lews Castle was originally used as accommodation for the students, but it is currently needing renovation.

In December 2012, the college had 2,700 students enrolled in 150 full-time, part-time and online courses, representing nine different nationalities, and employed 130 staff.

In 2014 the college announced a new Gaelic Scotland degree course to cover Highland history, heritage and literature. The course is to be taught in English but will also allow a range of language-learning pathways. It also has Gaelic language degrees taught through the medium of Gaelic.

The College has a subsidiary company, Lews Castle College (Trading) Limited, which provides Gaelic translation services.

University of the Highlands and Islands Lews Castle College

Merchant navy training

Lews Castle College conducts several courses for the seagoing merchant navy personnel both long and short term:

  • Access to Merchant Navy (1 year full-time)
  • Efficient Deck Hand, GMDSS & STCW Courses (short courses)