University of the Arts Wimbledon

Norwich University of The Arts LogoUniversity of the Arts Wimbledon

Wimbledon College of Arts, formerly Wimbledon School of Art, is a constituent college of the University of the Arts London. It is located in Wimbledon and Merton Park, South West London.

University of the Arts Wimbledon

History

The foundation of Wimbledon College of Arts goes back to 1890, when an art class for the Rutlish School for Boys was started. Between 1904 and 1920 this was housed in the Wimbledon Technical Institute in Gladstone Road. It became independent in 1930 and moved to Merton Hall Road in 1940. Theatre design was taught from 1932, and became a department in 1948. BA courses were introduced from 1974, and MA courses from 1984. In 1993 the school, which previously had been controlled by the London Borough of Merton, was incorporated as an independent higher education institution, and from 1995 awarded degrees accredited by the University of Surrey.

Wimbledon School of Art became part of the University of the Arts London in 2006 and was renamed Wimbledon College of Art. In 2013 it was renamed Wimbledon College of Arts.

Wimbledon delivers specialist art, design and theatre courses ranging from undergraduate to postgraduate, as well as providing research supervision for students undertaking a research programme of study.

Affiliations

Wimbledon is a constituent college of the University of the Arts London, with Camberwell College of Arts, Central Saint Martins, Chelsea College of Arts, London College of Communication and London College of Fashion.