University of the Arts in Philadelphia
The University of the Arts (UArts) is a university of visual and performing arts based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Its campus makes up part of the Avenue of the Arts in Center City, Philadelphia. Dating back to the 1870s, it is one of the oldest schools of art or music in the United States.
The university is composed of two colleges and two Divisions: the College of Art, Media & Design, and the College of Performing Arts, as well as the Division of Liberal Arts and the Division of Continuing Studies. Many alumni have achieved notable success.
The University of the Arts’ nearly 1,900 students are enrolled in 41 undergraduate and graduate programs in six schools: Art, Design, Film, Dance, Music and the Ira Brind School of Theater Arts. In addition, the university’s Division of Continuing Studies offers courses through its Continuing Education, Pre-College, and Professional Institute for Educators programs.
College of Performing Arts
- Majors: Dance; Jazz Studies (Composition, Instrumental Performance, Vocal Performance); Music Business, Entrepreneurship + Technology; Acting; Musical Theater; Directing, Playwriting + Production; Theater Design + Technology
- Graduate programs: MFA in Devised Performance, MM in Jazz Studies, MM in Music Education, MAT in Music Education
College of Art, Media & Design
- Majors: Animation; Film + Animation; Photo + Film Media; Interdisciplinary Fine Arts; Craft + Material Studies; Design, Art + Technology; Film + Video; Advertising Design; Graphic Design; Illustration; Industrial Design; Photography; Film Design + Production
- Graduate programs: Art Education/Teaching, Book Arts + Printmaking, Crafts Post-Baccalaureate, MDes in Design for Social Impact, MDes in Product Design, Museum Studies (programs in Museum Communication, Museum Education, and Museum Exhibition Planning + Design: http://museumstudies.uarts.edu/, Studio Art
Division of Liberal Arts
- Majors: Creative Writing; Film + Media Studies; Writing for Film + Television
The university has four on-campus residence halls located in the heart of Center City. Each dorm contains beds, dressers, desks, and chairs. They also contain a bathroom and mini kitchen with a mini fridge and cabinets. The halls include Furness, Pine, Spruce, and Juniper (reserved mainly for upperclassmen).