University of the Arts Bournemouth
Arts University Bournemouth (abbreviated AUB) is a further and higher education university based in Poole, Dorset, United Kingdom, specialising in art, performance, design, and media. It was formerly known as The Arts University College at Bournemouth and The Arts Institute at Bournemouth.
According to figures revealed by the Higher Education Statistics Agency 2013/14, Arts University Bournemouth has the highest percentage of graduates entering employment and/or further study within six months of graduation out of all universities in the United Kingdom, at 97.4%.
Most courses are based within one campus which is located in Poole, next to Bournemouth University and Wallisdown. The Campus covers around 3.7 hectares and houses 19 buildings with specialist workshops and workspaces, many of which are shared across similar courses. The BA (Hons) Dance course is partly based at Pavilion dance South West.
Notable facilities include:
- The Library – Over 50,000 books available covering a range of art, design, media, and performance subjects.
- The Refectory –
- TheGallery – A gallery open to the public displaying both international touring exhibitions, and work from alumni, staff, and students.
- MoDiP (Museum of Design and Plastics) – The only accredited museum in the UK with a focus on plastics. MoDiP is located inside the AUB library.
- North Building Extension – A building mainly for photography courses offering flexible teaching spaces, IT suites, and a lecture theatre, which was shortlisted for the 2016 RIBA South West Awards. It was designed by Design Engine Architects Ltd.
- The CRAB Drawing Studio, an innovative building designed by the Cook-Robotham Architectural Bureau led by Professor Sir Peter Cook, which was shortlisted for the 2016 RIBA South West Awards. It is the first purpose-built drawing studio to open in the UK for 100 years, emphasising natural light and featuring a large circular north-light and a rear clerestory, which provides softer light.
- The Student Services Building, which also houses the Students’ Union, and facilities management. This building was also shortlisted for the 2016 RIBA South West Awards.
Sustainability and environment
The university ranked 120 out of 151 in the 2015 The People & Planet Green League table with a total score of 31.1%. The Students’ Union at Arts University Bournemouth and AUB have formed a partnership with the Woodland Trust which will see a tree planted for each new student at AUB. In 2016 Arts University Bournemouth announced its commitment to never invest in fossil fuels.