University of Huddersfield NHS

University of Huddersfield logo

University of Huddersfield NHS

University of Huddersfield NHS Funding

We are awaiting confirmation from the Department of Health about the funding arrangements for NHS students in 2017/18. As soon as we have the detail, they will be published here.

The funding for students who study courses leading to a first registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council or the Health Professions Council is different to most university courses.

This applies if you study nursing, midwifery, podiatry, physiotherapy, occupational therapy or operating department practice at the University of Huddersfield. You must also meet the eligibility criteria and residency rules set down by the Department of Health. These are not always the same as those that apply to other courses.

If you are a home student and study one of these courses, your fees will be paid by the Department of Health and you may be entitled to a non-repayable grant and bursary from the Department as well. This is because students on these courses are on placement 37 hours a week for part of the year and usually have more hours study per week than students who are funded by the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE), which reduces your ability to work.

How do I find out if I am eligible?

The exact rules change regularly sometimes at very short notice; so we can only give general guidance here. More up to date information may be available on the NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBA) website but minor changes to specific regulations may not be published.

The University will make an initial assessment of your eligibility but cannot advise you on the value of your bursary award. You can get an estimate of how much you will receive by going to the bursary calculator on the NHSBA website listed below. The ultimate decisions on both your eligibility and the value of your award can only be made by the bursary unit after they receive your application.