University of Highlands and Islands Theology
Theological Studies BA (Hons)
The BA (Hons) Theological Studies gives you a broad knowledge and understanding of the main disciplines of Christian theology, and the personal and professional capabilities required for a variety of ministries or general employment.
The degree is led by Highland Theological College UHI, a non-demoninational college recognised by the Church of Scotland, the Associated Presbyterian Churches, the United Free Church of Scotland and other denominations as a training provider.
You will read a wide range of theology across all main traditions and have access to special collections in Highland Theological College UHI’s impressive library.
A work placement will enable you to relate your acquired theoretical knowledge ro real life situations. Visiting speakers will give you a flavour of the different areas of service that may be of interest for future employment or volunteering, for example: churches, youth work, hospital chaplaincy, army chaplaincy, seminaries and mission agencies in the UK and abroad.
- You can study at Highland Theological College UHI’s main campus in Dingwall or new base in Glasgow, or at another university campus. Alternatively you can access lectures and course materials from home.
- The ideal course for prospective ministers, religious workers, ordained local ministry, readers, missionaries and religious workers.
- You will have access to Highland Theological College UHI’s impressive library of 60,000 volumes.
- A work placement is available in year three which will enable you to relate the theoretical knowledge you have acquired to real life situations.
- It is possible to include modules from a range of our degree programmes, or even take a joint degree with History or Scottish History
- You can study full time or part time to suit your personal circumstances.
- You can study individual modules for personal or professional development, and exit at the end of each of the levels with a recognised qualification
- 3 Scottish highers at grade C or above OR
- 2 A levels at grade C or above
- Applicants with other qualifications or experience will be considered on an individual basis
Access to Christian Theology at Highland Theological College UHI.
Relevant Scottish Wider Access Programme (SWAP) with grades CCC:
- Access to arts, social science and primary education (Edinburgh College)
- Access to community education and humanities (Dundee & Angus College)
- Access to Degree Studies (Forth Valley College)
- Access to humanities (Edinburgh College, Fife College and Perth College UHI)
- Access to Languages with Business (Edinburgh College)
- Access to Languages, Arts and Social Sciences (Edinburgh College)
- Access to university (West Lothian College)
- Access to university study (Dundee & Angus College)
- Arts and Humanities (Newbattle Abbey College)
- Celtic studies incorporating primary education with Gaelic (Newbattle Abbey College)