University of Exeter Rowing
University of Exeter Boat Club
The University of Exeter Boat Club (EUBC) is able to cater for people that want to try rowing at all levels; from complete beginners, to those looking to trial for the GB squad and compete internationally. With a 200 strong membership base, this is also one of the greatest clubs to meet new faces and enjoy the huge social aspect of the sport.
The club is divided into senior and novice squads, the novices are coached by experienced members on the senior squad, and the senior squad is over-seen by our full-time, and former Olympic, coach Richard Tinkler.
The Nicholas Bull Boathouse opened in 2012 and is situated on the scenic Exeter canal only 15 minutes from campus. We also have our very own on-campus gym facilities which enable us to successfully compete in all British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS) competitions against other universities, as well as all the major winter head races.
The summer racing season draws to an emphatic close with the famous Henley Women’s, and Henley Royal Regatta.
University of Exeter Rowing, Training times
The whole squad trains together at the following times:
|Monday||Circuits||Sports Park, ADC||17:00-19:00|
|Tuesday||Circuits||Sports Park, ADC||17:00-19:00|
|Wednesday||Water session||Nicholas Bull Boathouse||13:00-16:00|
|Thursday||Circuits||Sports Park, ADC||17:00-19:00|
|Saturday||Water session||Nicholas Bull Boathouse||09:00-12:00|
|Sunday||Water session||Nicholas Bull Boathouse||09:00-12:00|
For individual squad training times, please contact the captain directly.
University of Exeter Rowing High Performance
The Rowing High Performance Squad is selected at the beginning of the year and is usually made up of 15-20 rowers.
Student athletes on the Rowing High Performance Programme have access to the following services:
- Coaching team including full time Director of Rowing Richard Tinkler who has coached at Olympic level and former GB rower Lorna Tinkler who brings many years of experience and high quality coaching for novices up to athletes attending GB trials.
- Water Sessions: a minimum of six sessions per week, over three days (Wednesday, Saturday and Sundays) from the Nicholas Bull Boathouse.
- Open access to a specialised ergo room.
- S&C Sessions: 2 sessiosns a week with a dedicated S&C coach including athlete monitoring, programming inside and outside of term time and access to the Athlete Development Centre (High Performance training facility).
- Weekly squad led Pilates sessions.
- Easter training camp in preparation for BUCS Regatta and Henley. Most recent venue was Tilburg in the Netherlands.
- BUCS competitions including indoor rowing, BUCS head, BUCS regatta and the opportunity to qualify to represent University of Exeter in the European Universities competition.
- Possibility for athletes with potential to trial for the GB U23 or senior team.
- Access to HPP support services including physio triage, subsidised physiotherapy, sports massage, performance analysis (squad and individual), fitness testing package, workshops (nutrition, anti-doping, employability, sports psychology, goal setting and mindfulness) and access to sports science services on an needs basis including lactate profiling.