University Of Cumbria Graduation Gowns
As your graduation ceremony is a very special occasion, marking your academic achievement, it is mandatory that all graduands wear full academic dress (gown, hood and mortarboard) and, therefore, it is not possible to participate in the ceremony without it.
Full academic address must be hired or purchased from Ede and Ravenscroft, who are the University’s official suppliers.
University of Cumbria style and colours
The colours and style of the gowns and hoods indicate both the award (eg diploma, foundation, bachelor, postgraduate or master) and the awarding university.
It’s very important that you order the correct academic dress for your qualification as the style is different for each level of award – if in doubt, contact us and check!
You will need to hire or purchase full academic dress from Ede & Ravenscroft who will be in attendance on the day. You must do this at least 21 days before your ceremony. Although it may be possible to pay on the day, only limited stock will be available and this will be allocated on a strictly first come, first served basis and there is no guarantee of availability. In addition, you will pay substantially more for your gown.
Before you book online, make sure you have the following information ready:
- Your student ID.
- Your head circumference, chest and height measurements
- Your credit/debit card details. If the payment is being made on someone else’s card, it is important that you still make the booking in your name.
Bring a copy of the confirmation with you when you collect your gown on the day of your ceremony, so your order can be processed quickly.
You can also order your photographs at the same time as ordering your gown which will be quicker and save you time on the day.
We don’t have a specific dress code for what you should wear under your gown but we do suggest that both you and your guests dress smartly.
We offer the following tips to help you look smart:
- wear a shirt or button up blouse to which you can attach your hood.
- wear securely fitting shoes, as there will be some walking and you will also need to make your way up and down some steps. If you wish to wear high heels, you may find wedges easier and safer than stilettos!
- bring some hair grips to help secure your mortarboard.
You can collect your gown from the Tithe Barn approximately 2 hours before the ceremony.
You should return your gown to the Drawing Room, Crown & Mitre Hotel shortly after the ceremony.