University of Hull Venn Building

university of hall logo

University of Hull Venn Building

University of Hull Venn Building

The history of our buildings

The University’s estate comprises of 263 buildings, including academic, administrative and residential units, which together offer approximately 136,000 square metres of usable space in Hull and a further 14,000 square metres in Scarborough.

Venn LandscapeThe Venn Building, is one of the original University buildings, having been constructed in the foundation period.  It was originally known as the Administration Building and was later named after the famous mathematician John Venn, who originated from Hull. The foundation stone was laid by the Duke of York (later George VI) in April 1928, and the University College opened in October with 39 students and 14 ‘one-man’ departments. Today the Venn Building is home to the Vice-Chancellor and University’s administrative staff.

Venn

Venn BuildingThe Venn Building plays a big role in the functionality of the University. Not only is it a grand and listed building, but it also houses the important administration function.

The Venn Building, a Grade II listed Neo-Georgian block of 1927-8, still dominates the front of the campus with its grandness and impressive design. W A Forsyth & Partners designed the block along with Cohen.

General enquiries

University of Hull, Cottingham Road, Hull, HU6 7RX, United Kingdom

Telephone: +44 (0)1482 346311

Fax: +44 (0)1482 346511