University of Hull Entry Requirements

university of hall logo

University of Hull Entry Requirements

University of Hull Entry Requirements

Undergraduate entry requirements

Last updated on 12/16/2015 Print this page

Contact us

T: +44 (0)1482 466100

E: Undergraduate Admissions


A levels

The University recognises all A level subjects from UK exam boards, including General Studies and Critical Thinking, for the purposes of general entry requirements, but individual degree programmes may require specific previous subject knowledge to A level (or equivalent standard) – see the UCAS website for the latest information on essential prerequisites.

The University does not require all A levels to have been completed in the same session and are, normally, happy to include any certificated at the end of Year 12 as contributing towards achievement of the normal entry requirements.

The University recognises Singapore CIE A level (H2) as equivalent to the UK A level but the A level (H1) as equivalent to UK AS level.

Use of A* grades

The University will not request an A level grade of A* for the purposes of its entry requirements for any of its programmes.

AS and A level unit grades

The University does not make specific reference to unit grades in its offers but may use them to consider any applicants who miss their offer level in the summer.

International Baccalaureate

The University welcomes applications based on the IB Diploma and a pass in the Diploma meets the general degree entry requirements. Typically offers for IB Diploma students are in the order of 28-30 IB points but please see information for your chosen programme. Some programmes require study of pre-requisite subjects at Higher Level (eg maths HL for maths degree entry). Students not meeting the requirements for their chosen degree will be considered for a four degree with integrated foundation year. We do not normally use the UCAS Tariff for offers to IB students but where an IB certificate is taken in combination with other level 3 qualifications this will be included for applicants who receive a conditional, Total Tariff, offer.

For students who need a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK the University accepts a pass in the IB Diploma (English or Bilingual) as evidence of English language proficiency.

14-19 Diplomas

We welcome applications from students who achieved the Level 3 Advanced/Extended Diploma and admission tutors will assess suitability for the programme, as with all applicants, for specific required subject knowledge. In some cases we will require a relevant A level as part of the Additional and Specialist Learning.

The UCAS Tariff

The University uses the UCAS Tariff for offers and the majority of typical offer levels are in terms of total tariff achieved (please check entry requirements for each subject).   Normally, we do not use the Tariff for offers to International Baccalaureate students.

Other qualifications

The University recognises a wide range of other entry qualifications as being equivalent to A level standard (Level 3), the most common being Irish Leaving Certificate; Scottish Highers/Advanced Highers; BTEC (NQF) Diploma; BTEC (QCF) Extended Diploma; Welsh Baccalaureate Diploma; Access programmes which are QAA ‘kitemarked’; International/European/French Baccalaureate; German Abitur and Ethniko Apolyterion.

Qualifications such as music practical grades and ifs Diploma in Financial Studies may be included towards offers where they are relevant to the degree programme. Applications will be considered on an individual basis.

If you are taking A levels in another system please contact us for equivalency guidance.

Extended Project

The University encourages completion of an Extended Project but does not require it. The University are using a total Tariff approach for offers which will allow inclusion of the EPQ.

English Baccalaureate

The English Baccalaureate is not required for entry and will not be used to form part of our entry requirements.

Please contact the Admissions Service if you have a query regarding your qualifications for further guidance.

Applicants not currently in formal education

Successful applicants will normally have provided evidence of successful learning through structured academic study and/or work-based or self-directed learning within the last three years. This is in addition to any specific requirements for the programme.

The admission tutor may offer alternate methods of demonstrating the outcome of the recent learning where formal evidence is not available. This may, for example, include one or more essays, detailed discussion of the degree subject at interview, or discussion of past examination papers; or a combination of methods. Where the candidate is found not to be suitably prepared guidance, they will normally be given as to the nature of further preparation that might be undertaken ahead of a future application.

Proof of qualifications

If you are asked to provide proof of your qualifications as a condition of your offer, please read the guidelines as the University will only accept official documents.

Numeracy and literacy requirements

While the University does not have a specified entry requirement in terms of GSCE Maths and English, some academic departments do have these as a requirement. Certain professional training courses (nursing, ODP, midwifery, teacher training, social work) have numeracy and/or literacy requirements placed on them by the external professional body.

Health assessments

For certain professional training programmes, applicants are required to have a medical check as a condition of their offer. Full details are provided during the application process where applicable and are also found in the prospectus and/or department web pages.

Acceptability of examination grades after resits

For the purpose of admission, the University normally accepts examination results that have been gained after resits in accordance with the rules of the relevant public examinations board. Applicants who have not been successful in studies at another university and wish to gain admission to Hull will be considered individually in the context of the University’s Accreditation of Prior Learning policies. Such applicants, who are accepted to Hull, will be responsible for liaison with their LEA or sponsor to obtain sufficient funding to complete their studies.

Mitigating circumstances affecting examination results

These should be made known to the University as soon as possible, by letter preferably from your school/college. Factors affecting performance will normally be taken into account at the time that places are confirmed. The final decision of whether admission can be given rests with the Dean of Faculty.

Applicants for the Hull York Medical School should refer to the HYMS website for guidance.

AddThis Sharing Buttons

Share to Facebook11Share to TwitterShare to Google+Share to LinkedInShare to Sina WeiboShare to BaiduShare to EmailShare to More9


Postgraduate Entry Requirement

Postgraduate taught and postgraduate research degrees

To study at postgraduate level, you must normally hold a first or upper second class Honours degree, or equivalent.

Applicants who can demonstrate suitable expertise in their chosen area are also considered for many programmes.

PhD level study

For entry onto a PhD , applicants should have a Masters degree with a research training element, an excellent Honours degree with a research training element, or other significant research credentials.

Course-specific information

Some courses have different or additional entry requirements so it is important to check our postgraduate taught or postgraduate research course pages for specific information.

Research proposal

To be considered for a research degree your application must include your research proposal to enable us to decide if we can match up your interests with a research supervisor.

We encourage you to get in touch with a potential supervisor before you apply to ensure that you chose a research area in which the University has expertise.

All research students are required to take part in the Postgraduate Training Scheme run by the Graduate School.

Proof of Qualifications

If you have been asked to provide proof of your qualifications, we will accept a copy of your official statement of results, certificate or transcript by email or post.

However, you will be asked to present the original document or a verified copy when you arrive at the University. Please see our policy on proof of qualifications for more information.

If your name has changed since your documents were issued, you will also need to provide evidence of this. For more details, please see our policy on providing evidence of a change of name.

English language skills

If you require a Tier 4 student visa to study or your first language is not English, you will need to provide evidence of your English language skills. Please refer to our English language requirements webpage.


If you have been asked for references, they must be on the University of Hull reference form or company letter-headed paper with an official stamp. References from family or friends are not accepted.

Most courses require one academic reference. Applications for MBA also need an employment reference. University of Hull graduates progressing to postgraduate study do not generally need to provide references.

ATAS certificate

International students who have applied for a science and technology programme may need to apply for an ATAS certificate. Your offer letter will say if you need one. See our ATAS Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.