University of Huddersfield Queensgate Campus Map
University of Huddersfield Queensgate Campus
The University’s main campus, Queensgate, is south-east of Huddersfield town centre. Virtually all of the University’s teaching takes place on the site. The campus is split in two by the Huddersfield Narrow Canal. It features a mixture of converted mill buildings, and purpose-built facilities. More than £250 million has been invested by the University in the campus.
A notable feature of the University of Huddersfield in recent years has been the amount of building work taking place on the Queensgate campus. In addition to the Creative Arts Building which opened in 2008, a new £17 million Business School opened in 2010, followed by the £3 million Buckley Innovation Centre in 2012, the £22.5 million Student Central building in 2014, and the £27.5 million Oastler Building for Law and the School of Music, Humanities and Media, in 2017.
As part of the University’s 175th anniversary commemorations in 2016, several of the buildings on the Queensgate campus were renamed after significant figures with connections to the Huddersfield area and the University’s predecessor institutions. The distinctive brown Central Services Building was renamed the Schwann Building, after Frederic and Mary Schwann who had been inspired to create the Young Men’s Mental Improvement Society in 1841. Other buildings were named for Edith Key, Joseph Priestley, the Bronte sisters and the University’s own Chancellor Emeritus, Sir Patrick Stewart.