University of Huddersfield Extension

University of Huddersfield logo

University of Huddersfield Extension

What is an EC claim?

An EC claim is a formal request to the University to consider reasons for a student’s: absence from an examination; or failure to submit work for assessment by the agreed submission date; or if you feel that you’ve not been able to perform as well as you could have in a piece of coursework because (for example) you’ve been ill. It is a request which, in all cases, must be backed up by independent evidence; for example, confirmation from a health professional that you’ve been ill on the dates in question.

Please remember that if you have attended an examination, a claim for an EC is unlikely to be approved.  If you are not well enough to attend an examination then you should not do so.  If you attend and then try to claim an EC, it will not be approved unless appropriate evidence indicates why it should.

Should I apply for an EC or an extension?

For coursework, if you can’t meet the deadline because of a short term or relatively minor circumstance, you should submit a request for an extension within two working days of the submission date.  To request an extension, you need to log onto the Student Hub and make use of the system to submit your request.

If you do not apply within this timeframe (or an extension isn’t feasible), you may wish to consider applying for an EC.

A claim for ECs is usually only approved if you have demonstrated that the circumstances are substantial and unexpected.  So if you’ve had a cold or a sore throat for a few days around the submission deadline and can’t quite get an essay finished on time, you should be thinking about an extension and not an EC.  But if you’ve been in hospital for a week and need another week or so to recover, then you should be talking to your tutor about applying for an EC.

Do I need to talk to my tutor?

You should always attempt to discuss your situation with your tutor. If an extension isn’t possible, your tutor will be able to advise you. Your tutor may also recommend that you need additional help and advise you to see various support services such as the Academic Skills Tutor (AST) or the Well-being service offered by Student Services.

What evidence is needed for an EC?

All claims must be accompanied by independent, written, verifiable evidence from an independent professional – usually a health professional – and relate specifically to the assessment date(s) in question. The evidence must relate directly to you, and detail the impact your circumstances have had on your studies.  So, for example, if your studies have been disrupted by financial difficulties that have caused you stress, you will need to provide a medical note from your doctor confirming a diagnosis of stress; a claim that includes copies of bank statements or eviction notes won’t be approved as these documents don’t confirm what impact your situation had on you. Similarly, if you’ve had to spend time away from your studies to look after a sick relative, a sick note for your relative would not allow your EC claim to be approved – but if you have evidence from a health visitor or ward sister to confirm that your support/care was needed for the three weeks starting from 3 January, then this could be accepted as evidence in support of an EC claim for a non-submission or poor performance in an essay due on 17 January.