University of Huddersfield Biology
Welcome to Biological Sciences here at the University of Huddersfield. We’re a teaching and research environment within the School of Applied Sciences. You’ll receive the highest quality education, taught by academic and industry experts, using the latest state-of-the-art scientific instrumentation in dedicated, specialist labs. You’ll learn about many aspects of biology including the complex interactions of biological molecules, physical and chemical functions of tissues and organs and how various organisms interact with their environment.
Our main goal is to enthuse you about your subject and provide you with the necessary knowledge, skills and experience to enable you to enjoy a rewarding and fulfilling career after you graduate.
Biology (Molecular and Cellular) BSc(Hons) 2017-18
Molecular and cellular biology embraces biochemistry, genetics and cell biology and seeks molecular explanations for life processes. It involves techniques in cloning, sequencing and modifying genes, and has provided recombinant human insulin, effective hepatitis B vaccine, and DNA fingerprinting used in forensic science. The course aims to provide a rounded and modern introduction to biological sciences and could be an excellent foundation for an advanced research degree or entry in to graduate posts in industry where a broader appreciation of science is warranted.
All our teaching staff are educated to doctoral level in their respective subject areas and have expertise in most areas of biological sciences.As a student on the course you’ll be eligible for student undergraduate Associate Membership of the Biochemical Society and the Physiological Society (UK).
You’ll have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience using scientific instrumentation in our modern biological sciences labs. In the third year of your course, you’ll also have the chance to benefit from a work placement. This could help you to gain relevant real-world experience and enhance your future employability prospects.
18 / 09 / 2017
3 years full-time
4 years inc. placement year
Entry requirements for this course are normally one of the following:
• BBB at A Level including a grade B in a relevant Science subject. The endorsement for practical work is an essential part of Science A-level study, and is a requirement for entry to our degree course.
• DDM in BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science. Alternatively a BTEC Health and Social Care is acceptable but must be accompanied by another Science A Level at grade C or above.
• 120 UCAS tariff points from a combination of Level 3 qualifications including a grade B in a relevant Science subject at A Level.
• Access to Higher Education Diploma with 45 Level 3 credits at Merit or above to include modules in a relevant science subject
• International Baccalaureate with an overall score of 31 points to include modules in a relevant science subject.
Other suitable experience or qualifications will be considered. For further information please see the University’s minimum entry requirements at http://collegelist.co.uk/university-of-huddersfield-biology-minimum-entry-requirements/
• If you do not have the appropriate qualifications for direct entry to this degree you may be able apply to our Science Extended Degree (BCF0).
Please note: UCAS points are based on the new UCAS tariff, introduced for courses starting in 2017/18.