University of the Highlands and Islands Study Abroad

By | 14th June 2017

University of the Highlands and Islands Study Abroad

Study for a semester or a year at UHI as part of your degree abroad!

We offer an opportunity for students from all over the world to complete a part of their degree studies in the beautiful Highlands and Islands of Scotland. We are pleased to cater for students who wish to spend either a single semester or a full academic year with us.

As a study abroad student you can tailor your learning according to your academic background and requirements.  We have a diverse range of courses: some of them truly unique.

Entry requirements

You can apply if you are currently studying as an undergraduate student at an institution of higher education.

Students from Canada and USA should have a Grade Point Average at 2.7 or above. Students from other countries should have good pass grades for courses they have taken back at their home institution. If you are coming from a non major English-speaking country we will require English language certificates stating your level of English at satisfactory level.

  • Cover letter from your home institution,
  • Academic transcript with a brief description for each course completed at your home university,
  • English Proficiency Statement (if you are not a national of a majority English speaking country).

English language requirements

You will need a good level of English. If you are a non-native speaker, you should meet the standard requirements for all international degree students.

Visa requirements

Whether you will need to apply for your student visa in advance of coming to the UK will depend on a number of factors.

Student visitor visa

Under current immigration rules, if you are not a visa national (for example, US citizen or Canadian), you do not have to apply in advance if you are coming for less then six months as a student visitor. You will however not be allowed to work, undertake unpaid placements or voluntary jobs.

If you are a visa national you will have to apply for a student visitor visa in advance. Check UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) website to find out more.

Adult student (general) visa: tier 4

If you are a visa national, or if you are not a visa national but you are coming to study for more than six months and/or planning to work while studying, you will have to apply for a Tier 4 visa.

Note that immigration rules are subject to change and you should always check current regulations before you travel: UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).

Please ensure that you meet the requirements for living in the UK before coming here, and if you need a visa, you will find the necessary forms and guidance at the International Group website. You can always contact our International Office to get advice on visa requirements and application process.


Application process

Application process for study abroad

1. Submit study abroad application form by email to

2. We will process the application and send you an offer letter outlining the result of your application. The letter will list the conditions of entry and the details of your programme.

3. Accept the offer and confirm your participation.

4. We will send you an accommodation form and request for airport transfer. You will also receive a registration pack with the details on our Induction Programme.

Application deadlines

For semester 1 (Autumn) entry: 15 April

For semester 2 (Spring) entry: 15 October