University of the Highlands and Islands Court
Court is responsible for the overall strategic direction and governance of the university. Its many powers and duties are detailed in the university’s articles of association. The court can delegate some responsibilities to individuals, committees or groups. Court is also referred to as the board of governors.
Court consists of up to 20 members, including students, academic and support staff, representatives from our sponsor universities and a majority of independent members. The group elects its chair and vice-chair from the independent members. You can download and read the approved minutes of the court.
Court members’ register of interests.
The Scottish HE Code of Governance requires University Courts to assess the effectiveness of their chair and members, how they operate collectively and how effective their committees are on an annual basis. The attached document provides a summary of the most recent review.
- 22 March 2017
- 14 June 2017
Contact: Roger Sendall, Head of Governance & Records Management
University of the Highlands and Islands Court membership
- Garry Coutts
- Principal and Vice-Chancellor, Professor Clive Mulholland
- President students’ association, Luke Humberstone
- Rector, Anton Edwards
Staff and student members
- Staff governor (support staff), Gillian Berkeley
- Staff governor (teaching), Dr David Worthington
- Student governor, Max Haddow-Mendes
Further education governor
- Chair of board of Shetland College UHI, Peter Campbell
Specialist and research governor
- Chair of the board of Scottish Association for Marine Science UHI, Commodore Angus Ross
Sponsor university governor
- University of Strathclyde, Professor Kenneth Miller
- Appointed by local authorities, Malcolm Burr
- Appointed by Highlands and Islands Enterprise, vacant
- Chair of the further education regional board, Dr Michael Foxley
- David Alston
- James MacDonald
- Eileen Mackay
- Dr Fiona McLean
- Willie Printie
- Andy Rogers