About the course
This course is available to Home and EU applicants only.
Why choose this course?
The BEd (Hons) degree for Primary Teaching (with QTS) is a three-year full-time programme offering professional and academic training leading to recommendation of the award of Qualified Teacher Status. It is structured to allow you to develop the skills and subject knowledge required by primary teachers to teach the full National Curriculum, and develop specific expertise for making a distinctive contribution to primary practice.
School based training will be offered in Early Years, Key Stage 1 and Key stage 2. You will be qualified to teach across the 3 – 11 age range.
Teaching in primary schools is a demanding, but satisfying and fulfilling career, and this BEd degree is designed to ensure you meet these demands with growing confidence. Our students are intelligent and resourceful, communicate well, and have a wide range of interests. The teaching quality and excellent provision in the School of Education have been consistently recognised by Ofsted inspections.
UCAS have introduced a new tariff for 2017 entry so the points being asked for are substantially different to previous years.
112 UCAS points
IB – 112 points from a minimum of 2 HL subjects at H4 or above.
Maths, English Language and Science GCSE Grade 4 or above (Grade C or above under the old grading structure).
All students from non-majority English speaking countries require proof of English language proficiency, equivalent to an overall IELTS score of 6.0 with a minimum of 5.5 in each band.
If you do not have the required IELTS or equivalent for direct entry on to your degree programme, our Pre-sessional English and International Foundation courses can help you to achieve this level.
For country specific qualifications, please visit our Your Country page.
UCAS points can be gained from any combination of the following:
A Levels in:
- Art including Textiles, Fashion, Photography
- Business Education including Economics
- Design Technology
- English including Language, Literature, Language and Literature, Media Studies, Drama
- Foreign Language – any
- Geography including Geology
- IT including Computer Science
- Music including Performing Arts
- Philosophy including Philosophy and Ethics
- RE including Critical Thinking, Philosophy and Critical Thinking
- Science – Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Additional Science, Applied Science, Zoology, Environmental Science
A level General Studies and A level Health & Social Care accepted if accompanied by one or more of the subjects above.
Or: Level 3 BTEC in:
- Applied Science
- Art & Design (inc 3D Design, Design Crafts, Fine Art, Graphic Design, Interactive Media, Photography, Textiles)
- Children’s Care, Learning & Development
- Children’s Play, Learning & Development
- Creative Media Production
- Creative Digital Media Production Information Technology
- Music (inc. Music Technology)
- Performing Arts
- Production Arts (inc Design and Technical)
- Sport Science
- Sport and Exercise Science
BTEC National Diploma in a subject not previously stated (i.e. Health & Social Care, Travel & Tourism) plus 1 A level from the list above.
Or: Access to Higher Education qualifications are welcomed (subject dependent) with a profile of 45 Level 3 credits at merit or above.
- Welsh Baccalaureate
- Irish Leaving Certificate to include English, Maths and Science
- At least 2 Scottish Advanced Highers, one must be in a National Curriculum subject
We do accept:
- Extended projects, music/dance exams, ASDAN, COPE etc. and any AS subject not carried through to A Level (i.e any UCAS tariff bearing qualification to support reaching required number of 112 points)
You will also be required to pass the Professional Skills tests in literacy and numeracy before starting the programme.
Personal suitability for teaching is important and is assessed at interview. Five (5) days recent (within the past year) work experience, in a state primary school, is essential before application, in order to complete specific school-based tasks and assessment. Download task list. Please state the length of time spent in school in your personal statement.
During registration on the programme, you will be required to complete a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) barred list and criminal records check, and a Disqualification by Association.
Subject to interview and DBS check.
Qualified Teacher Status