About the course
Film & Television
- The Film and Television programme is a Creative Skillset accredited course that provides an environment in which students can grow into confident television and film practitioners.
- State-of-the-art high-definition tapeless television studio, industry standard shooting and lighting equipment, Avid production suites and an advanced dubbing suite.
- Industry sponsors include: BBC, ITV, Avid, Warner Bros, BFI, Elstree Studios to name but a few.
Film & Television Successes
- Proud to be winners of the prestigious Royal Television Society London Student Awards for Best Drama 2015 and Best Sound Craft Award 2016, as well as being nominated for Best Documentary 2014, 2015 and Best Entertainment Programme 2016.
- The Elstree Project is a unique oral historyarchive charting 100 years of Elstree studios. Since the project began in 2010, over 40 students have been crew members on interview shoots with veterans from the film and television industry at the studios of Elstree and Borehamwood. Some of the stories our students have heard first-hand include what it was like to operate the film camera for Star Wars, design props for Stanley Kubrick and floor manage The Muppet Show, all whilst getting the opportunity to further their practical filmmaking skills. Trips to the studios are a regular part of the project and the work forms part of a vitally important archive.
- We are proud to be in partnership with the Edinburgh International Television Festival talent network scheme. This gives some of our final year students access to places on this highly acclaimed new talent programme – helping fast track our graduates in to employment, as they receive mentorship and internships from leading companies and broadcasters such as BBC, Endemol, ITV and Sky.
Film & Television Industry Links
- Our prestigious end of year show for final year students The Visions Festival has sponsorship from a stellar list of industry partners:
- Avid – Best Post-Production Sound
- BBC – Post-Production
- BFI – Best Dissertation
- Elstree Studios and The Kubrick Estate – Stanley Kubrick Prize for Fiction
- ITV – Award for Best Factual Entertainment
- Warner Bros Studios Leavesden – Best Production Design
- The Lord Lew Grade Foundation – Lord Lew Grade Award for Individual Student Achievement
- Zeiss – Best Cinematography
- This gives our students strong employability skills. Many prize winners go onto jobs with our industry partners.
Film & Television Student Testimonials
“As well as learning the essentials of how to run a production, I’ve also learnt how to network and made great connections to use after graduation! I’ve also learnt lots of technical skills as well as film theory and how to develop an idea into a film. It’s a really engaging course which prepares students for what to expect in the industry.”
Alice Walker-Mitchell Third Year Student
Film & Television Facilities
- This course has a wide range of cameras such as AF101s, steadycam, jib, as well as Black Magic camera for Visual Effects. For post-production there are Avid and FCP suites, and has a dedicated Broadcast standard TV studio.
- Royal Television Society Bursary
- We’re pleased to announce that we will be offering the RTS Bursary again for undergraduates in January 2017. Successful applicants will receive £1,000 each year for three years plus student membership of the RTS and membership of the Hospital Club in London’s Covent Garden – a private club popular with media professionals. Full details of the scheme are on www.rts.org.uk, and www.rtsfutures.org.uk.
Thinking about a Postgraduate Degree? Please see our (MA) Film & TV course for more details.
Why choose this course?
Over the three year programme of study, you will develop a range of key skills that prepare you for a role in industry. From scripting to shooting, from editing to audio design, from writing proposals to pitching ideas, our team of TV and film professionals will deliver the practical training, creative flair and business know-how you need to kick-start your career. You will also be encouraged to use the university’s excellent links with industry partners – Warner Bros, Elstree Studios, BBC, to name some – to gain access to potential employers via work experience and special events. All of this activity will enable you to assemble showreels and portfolios which demonstrate the breadth and depth of your creative and technical expertise.
Film & Television Production provides an environment in which students can grow into confident television and film practitioners, with a high level of creative and technical expertise, capable of entering the creative industries as effective professionals. The majority of the time will be employed developing practical experience of film and television production and students will be encouraged to combine innovation with market awareness. They will receive course instruction from active professionals as well as a programme of lectures from leading practitioners in the film and television industries. Simulated environments to mirror industry will also be used to ensure students are industry ready.
Please see Programme Specification attached for more detail on course structure.
Course director Lyndsay Duthie has 20 years of experience in Television, 10 of them at ITV producing hit programmes, talk shows and documentaries. She is co-author for ‘The TV Studio Production Handbook’ due for publication in 2016.
Find out more about Lyndsay Duthie
Creative Skillset Tick
Creative Skillset accreditation is awarded in recognition of the highest level of contemporary industry teaching and facilities. This gives potential employers an indication that candidates from our degree course have been trained professionally and are ready to take up an industry role successfully.
Students are offered the opportunity to become Avid accredited (the industry’s leading professional editing software) before completing their degree. This is a major advantage for post-production roles strengthening student’s applications for positions within the editing departments of film and TV production companies.
Apple Authorised Training Centre for Education
For more information click here.