About the course
Dietetics is the interpretation and communication of the science of nutrition to enable people to make informed and practical choices about food and lifestyle in both health and disease. Dietitians promote good health through appropriate nutrition. They work with individuals with special dietary needs, inform the general public about nutrition, evaluate and improve treatments and educate patients, doctors, nurses and other health professionals. The role of the dietitian is changing rapidly with increasing emphasis on working in the community as well as in hospitals. Dietitians also have a role in research, education, industry and the media where there is an increasing demand for good quality nutrition and dietetic education. Dietetic practice is based on a range of academic disciplines which are required to ensure that graduate dietitians have the level of skill required to deliver excellent nutritional advice and care.
“I found the dietetics course at Hertfordshire varied and well organised. Studynet, the University’s intranet is an excellent tool which the lecturers use to good effect to communicate with the students about all the key aspects of the course so that things run very smoothly and any changes are known promptly.”
Jo Grey, BSc (Hons) Dietetics
You can read a graduate story here and listen to final year student testimonials here.
Why choose this course?
- The only university that awards academic credit for practice placements.
- More weeks spent on practice placements than any other UK university.
- One of the few universities in the UK offering Dietetics over 3 years rather than 4 years.
- We welcome graduates who are changing direction and want to qualify as a dietitian.
- Dedicated facilities and Diet Laboratories
- Active Nutrition and Dietetics Society (NADS)
- British Dietetic Association Research Symposiums
- British Nutrition Foundation Annual Lectures
- Attendance to Food Matters Live
Download the course leaflet for BSc Dietetics
Find out more about our Dietetics staff
This course is accredited Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). On graduation you are eligible to apply for registration.