University of Hertfordshire Alumni
University of Hertfordshire Alumni
Arts, science and academia
- Tony Banham – Founder of the Hong Kong War Diary project
- Sean Hedges-Quinn – British sculptor and animator
- Ciarán O’Keeffe – Psychologist specialising in parapsychology and forensic psychology
- Helen Lederer – Comedian, writer and actress who emerged as part of the alternative comedy boom at the beginning of the 1980s
- Diane Maclean – Sculptor and environmental artist
- Matthew Smith – Associate Professor in Psychology at Liverpool Hope University
Government, politics and society
- Abdulaziz bin Abdullah – Deputy minister of foreign affairs in Saudi Arabia
- Guvna B – Urban contemporary gospel rap artist and composer
- John Cryer – English Labour Party politician
- Richard Howitt – Member of the European Parliament for the Labour Party for the East of England
- Akif Çağatay Kılıç – Current Minister of Youth and Sports of Turkey
- Mark Oaten – British former politician who was a senior member of the Liberal Democrat Party
- Lawrie Quinn – Labour politician in England
- Claire Ward – British Labour Party politician
- Sarah West – First woman to be appointed to command a major warship in the Royal Navy
Business and finance
Media and entertainment
- Kate Bellingham – British engineer and BBC presenter
- Yulia Brodskaya – Artist and illustrator known for her handmade elegant and detailed paper illustrations
- Sanjeev Bhaskar – British comedian, actor and broadcaster
- Matthew Buckley – British actor
- Stevyn Colgan – British writer, artist and speaker
- Sonia Deol – British radio and television presenter, currently at GlobalBC in Vancouver, Canada (previously BBC Asian Network)
- Bob Johnson – British guitarist formerly in the electric folk band Steeleye Span
- Lisa Lazarus – British model and actress
- Upen Patel – British male model and film actor
- Flux Pavilion – British dub step musician (real name Josh Steele)
Sports and athletics
- Ajaz Akhtar – Former British cricketer
- Steve Borthwick – former English rugby union footballer who played lock for Saracens and Bath
- Noah Cato – Rugby union player
- Iain Dowie – Football manager
- Owen Farrell – England, Saracens rugby union player
- Gavin Fisher – Former Chief Designer of the Williams Formula One team.
- Alex Goode – Professional British rugby union player
- Aaron Liffchak – Rugby union footballer
- Sachin Patel – Former British cricketer
- Tom Ryder – Rugby union player
In our profiles section, split into sectors that alumni are working in, you can read about what some of our graduates have gone on to do after leaving Herts.
There are some fantastic and inspiring stories across a range of sectors. Every month we will put the spotlight on someone and show them off.
Kate’s role encompasses overseeing the Court of Appeal, High Court, Central London County Court and the National Probate Service.
‘I have a team of 950 staff, and work closely with the senior judiciary and leadership Judges at all levels, to ensure that we provide an effective and efficient system for the administration of justice.’
Your Alumni card
Sending for your alumni card and ID number is essential – and simple
How do I apply for one?
Visit our Card Request page where you can obtain your membership card. Your card will feature your ID number and a photograph of you.
We can use the same photo you had on your student/staff card (although, if you left the university before 2002, you will need to provide a new picture).
When sending a new photo, make sure it is an up-to-date passport picture, either via email or as a hard copy to our address in the post, marked for the attention of Alumni Cards – Development and Alumni.
Once your request has been submitted, your card will be sent to you in the post. Subject to demand, we will aim to have it sent out to you within 4-6 weeks.
Why do I need an Alumni Card?
The Alumni Card is a direct replacement of the Student card you had whilst studying here.
It is easy to obtain, free of charge, and will enable you to access the privileges and benefits that being part of the alumni community gives you.
The card will contain your alumni registration number, and serve as ID when you are on campus (allowing you access to the Forum etc). It will also allow you to continue using the LRCs, (please refer to the alumni use of LRC guidelines).
Please note, if you request a replacement card you will be charged a £10 administration fee. If you have any queries contact the Alumni office
Visit our Data Protection Page for details of our policy.
We use various ways to keep in touch with you to let you know what’s going on at the University.
Futures is your annual alumni magazine – with news stories, features, articles, events coverage and much, much more. The magazine is your portal into the world of the University, helping you to remain very much a part of the community.
E-futures is our email newsletter that we send every two months. It’s our way of giving you a more regular take on what’s happening on campus and across the wider alumni community.
Click on any of the links to read the latest and back issues of Futures Magazine.
A graduate from the University of Hertfordshire has been awarded the prestigious BrightSparks Design Engineer award.
23 May 2017
Hertfordshire Business School hosts awards evening for successful young entrepreneurs.
3 May 2017
A University of Hertfordshire Alum and entrepreneur who set up his own website design business after graduating will deliver a talk at a major tech conference in San Francisco, California.
18 April 2017
Beijing Entrepreneurship and Employability event – a new starting point for entrepreneurs in a new era
The University of Hertfordshire held a highly successful event at the British Embassy, Beijing on March 17 2017, to celebrate and foster entrepreneurial spirit through continued close collaboration with the University’s Chinese business and educational partnerships and its Chinese alumni community.
28 March 2017
A graduate from the University of Hertfordshire has been named Best Retailer of the Year at the Hertfordshire biz4Biz Awards.
9 March 2017
Alumna Shahrzad Atai, who graduated in 2007 with an LLB in Commercial law, has recently received a number of prestigious awards highlighting her expertise in cross-border law and international finance.
9 March 2017
Model Design and Special Effects graduate (2008) Neil Ellis has come up with a novel way of raising money for national disability charity, Sense.
6 March 2017
A graduate from the University of Hertfordshire has won up to £50,000 as investment for a start-up catering business to be located on campus in Hatfield.
21 February 2017
Neil Martin (BSc Software Systems for the Arts and Media, 2001 – MA Digital Practice, 2002) had the honour of receiving an OBE from His Royal Highness, The Prince of Wales at a recent ceremony at Buckingham Palace.
14 February 2017
Recent graduates from the University of Hertfordshire have won an award from the Royal Television Society’s Student Television Awards 2017.
9 February 2017
Over 40 University of Hertfordshire alumni attended our Lagos Professional Networking event, held on Friday 20 January 2017 and hosted by Mrs Penny Carey, Associate Director (International Partnerships); Associate Dean International and Dr Ernestine Gheyoh Ndzi, LLB Cohort Tutor, both of the School of Law, Criminology and Political Science.
25 January 2017
A new alumna-designed sculpture has been unveiled next to the Oval and new residences on College Lane.
4 January 2017
A documentary which was directed and produced by two alumni has been accepted into the Kolkata International Wildlife & Environmental Film Festival.
4 January 2017
PawBakes, the doggie-treat baking business set up by three alumni, has recently had their products picked up by Fetch, the pet store arm of national online supermarket Ocado.
4 January 2017