About the course
You study your first year in the 3D Digital Animation and Modelling degree in common with students on the 2D Animation and Character Modelling and 3D Games Art & Design. Whilst still focusing on your chosen digital degree study you will experience high levels and intensive engagement with the latest software and animation techniques. First year study also concentrates on essential skills needed throughout your degree study such as design of character, narrative and drawing. Animation and games histories will add context to your study. As you gain experience in your chosen area of study during this year, you have the opportunity to switch to either of the other two degree routes.
Today’s 3D CGI is informed by the best film, animation and cinematographic practices. Second year studies enable you to engage and use film language, illusion of life character animation, and the power of post production for integrating and compositing 3D-SFX. To complete year two study you will also take a self initiated project, with professional help, from planning stages and storyboarding through to completion.
The final year of study is about engaging in real world practices and preparing for employment. You will make a final short film project, taking it from pre-production, storyboard, animatic through production and post-production. You will also prepare a showreel, and a professional website in preparation for work in the industry.
Why choose this course?
- The 3D Digital Animation and Modelling degree equips you with the high level of skills needed to succeed in today’s 3D animation industry.
- Creative Skillset accredited.
- Emphasis is on creativity, character design, story, cinematography, SFX and compositing.
- Develop character animation skills and digital modelling, virtual lighting and virtual camera work.
- You will create a final film with sound: commissioning, buying or writing the music, actors’ voice work and sound effects.
- Our students frequently win awards – graduate Amelie Talarmain won the Search for a Star 2016 Award for Animation
You could also study 2D Animation and Character for Digital Media, 3D Games Art & Design or Visual Effects for Film & Television.
Mr Daniel Goodbrey
Joint Programme Leader in Digital Animation
Find out more about Mr Daniel Goodbrey
Creative Skillset accreditation is awarded in recognition of the highest level of contemporary industry teaching and facilities. This gives potential employers an indication that candidates from our degree course have been trained professionally and are ready to take up an industry role successfully.