About the course
This course is available to UK/EU students only.
The BSc(Hons) Pre-registration Midwifery (Shortened) is an innovative and exciting work based, flexible learning midwifery course for qualified nurses (adult branch) who want to train for a career in midwifery. The course has an increased emphasis on normality and modules which emphasise a holistic approach to care.
You will learn from the best as our Midwifery team has won the prestigious Royal College of Midwives Annual Award for Excellence in Midwifery Education in January 2012. This success is due to the expertise of our staff and the content of our course which gives students the opportunity to combine theory with practice through the practice placements.
The aim of the BSc(Hons) Pre-registration Midwifery (Shortened) is to:
- prepare you for entry to the Midwife’s aspect of the Nursing and Midwifery Council’s (NMC) Professional Register, in accordance with the professional and statutory requirements
- make you a committed midwife that contributes to the enhancement of health and social care through inter-professional collaboration
- develop skills that make you become a responsive, confident midwife who at the point of registration is competent to practice in a variety of settings
- develop transferable communication skills to enhance critical decision making and to use appropriate information technology
- give you the skills to become a midwife that is safe, effective and competent in caring for women experiencing normal childbirth recognising the need for appropriate referral to other health professionals
- enable you to act as an advocate and facilitator of change using an evidence-based approach in theory and practice
The structure of the BSc(Hons) Pre-registration Midwifery (Shortened) is designed as a work-based course of study with five study blocks that can be studied in eighteen months. The study blocks involve 30 hours of contact time leading to a total of 150 hours of contact time throughout the course.
When you return to your clinical site, you are supported through the use of online resources such as the discussion and group working facility on StudyNet our University’s virtual learning environment. You will have access to the range of electronic sources available via StudyNet and will be expected to complete online work books in your self-directed study time.
The BSc(Hons) Pre-registration Midwifery (Shortened) course is modular in structure. If you wish to collect credits towards and award or a qualification see below the award and credit requirements:
- Diploma of Higher Education in Maternal and Neonatal Health Studies: 240 credits including at least 120 at level 5
- BSc Maternal and Neonatal Health Studies: 300 credits including at least 180 at level 6/5 of which 60 must be at level 6
- BSc (Hons) in Pre-Registration Midwifery: 360 credit points including 240 at level 5/6 of which 120 must be at level 6.
In addition the NMC requirements for registration must be met.
Why choose this course?
- The BSc(Hons) Pre-registration Midwifery (Shortened) course is for qualified nurses (adult branch) who want to become midwives.
- It uses blended learning and teaching which includes e-learning with campus based study to strengthen the practice skills learning
- Graduates develop all the necessary skills for a career in midwifery such as independence, initiative, the ability to work with others, ability to research scientific literature and problem solving skills
- Our Midwifery team has won the prestigious Royal College of Midwives Annual Award for Excellence in Midwifery Education in January 2012.
Registered midwife and a BSc Hons degree.