University Of Greenwich Halls Of Residence

University Of Greenwich Halls Of Residence

The University of Greenwich offers a guarantee of accommodation to new students subject to the following conditions.

Accommodation guarantee conditions

  • You are attending the University of Greenwich for the first time (either as a first-year undergraduate or postgraduate, or as a direct entrant to another year)
  • Your accommodation application has been received before 24 August 2017
  • You are enrolling on a full-time programme of study, for which you have qualified and have accepted your offer of study by 24 August 2017
  • You start your studies in September and you are studying for the whole academic year
  • You are studying on one of the three main University of Greenwich campuses (Avery Hill, Greenwich or Medway)

University Of Greenwich Accommodation

Please note that students whose applications for accommodation were received by 30 June will be given priority for booking their accommodation provided they qualify for their programme of study by 18 August 2017.

Although the university tries to honour the preferences of students when allocating rooms, we are not always able to offer students their preferred type of room or hall.

Greenwich Campus-based students should note that if we are unable to offer a room in a hall near the Greenwich Campus, a room in the Student Village at Avery Hill may be offered (subject to availability). Greenwich Campus-based students may therefore wish to consider listing the Student Village at Avery Hill as a preference in their application. More than half the residents of the Student Village study at the Greenwich Campus and a free intercampus bus runs between the two sites.

You will normally be offered accommodation in a university hall of residence but in the unlikely event that rooms within university halls are unavailable, the university will either find you alternative university-approved housing or secure a room for you in short-term accommodation until a room within a university hall becomes available.

I am studying at a partner college, can I apply for university accommodation?

The university is not usually able to extend the guarantee of accommodation to students enrolled at partner colleges. Students at our partner colleges are advised to contact the Accommodation Service directly if they are interested in living in one of the halls of residence. If you cannot be offered a placement in halls of residence you will be advised of alternative options available to you.

University Of Greenwich Halls Of Residence

Frequently asked questions

Living in halls – finance

When do I need to pay my accommodation fees by?

You will not be required to pay any accommodation fees until after you have signed your Licence Agreement and moved into halls. You select your own payment plan scheme. For students in residence for the duration of the academic year there are options to pay in 9 instalments (at the end of each month), 3 instalments (one to be paid each term), or in one instalment (to be paid by 30 September or within one month of arrival).

The first payment will be due on September 30 if you move into halls in September. If you move in after the start of the academic year or are in residence for one semester only,  further information regarding your payment options will be available at the time of booking. Staff are also available to discuss your payment plan options if you have any queries. For residents moving in after September, your first instalment would be due at the end of the month that you have moved in to hall.

Please note that your deposit will offset against your accommodation fees and should be deducted from your instalment plan. Most residents will deduct the deposit payment from the first instalment but you can choose the option most convenient for you.

Further information about fees, payments and instalment plans is available in the Accommodation Portal and within your booking acceptance forms.

Private rented accommodation

If you want to live in a local house, flat or lodgings while you study at the University of Greenwich, Accommodation Service staff are available to point you in the right direction. To help students find private accommodation, we have partnered with Studentpad, an online student accommodation service. You will find a wide variety of properties advertised on the site, from bedsits to shared houses.

Need more advice on rented accommodation?

The University of Greenwich Students’ Union (SUUG) has produced a useful guide, Getting Your Foot in the Door, on finding and keeping somewhere to live in the private sector that you may wish to check out.

Greenwich accommodation

Students based at the Greenwich Campus can choose between four halls of residence within easy walking distance of the university and the Student Village at Avery Hill Campus, a 20-minute bus ride away on our free intercampus bus.

Halls of residence

Cutty Sark Hall

231 single en-suite study-bedrooms in shared flats in the heart of Greenwich.

Daniel Defoe Hall

358 en-suite rooms for students in a mix of flat shares, studios and two bedroom “studio-style” flats.

Devonport House

125 en-suite rooms across from the campus reserved for postgraduate students and those aged 25+.

McMillan Student Village

Shared flats and studios near Deptford Market and a 15 minute walk from Greenwich town centre.