University of Gloucestershire UK.

university of gloucestershire logo

University of Gloucestershire UK.

University of Gloucestershire UK.

University of Gloucestershire

The University of Gloucestershire is a public university based in Gloucestershire, England. It is located over three campuses, two in Cheltenham and one in Gloucester, namely Francis Close Hall, The Park and Oxstalls.

The university is the recent successor of a large number of merged, name-changed and reformed institutions of further and higher education. Its history spans nearly two centuries. It originates from the merger of two distinct strands of educational provision in Gloucestershire being that provided by Local Government and that founded by the Anglican Church. The university traces its earliest Civic history to the Cheltenham Mechanics’ Institute in 1834, and to the Cheltenham Training College in its Church history, established in 1847, by the Reverend Francis Close. Cheltenham and Gloucester College of Higher Education was created in 1990 from the two distinct strands. In October 2001, the college was awarded University status.

The university provides almost 100 undergraduate courses and around 57 taught post-graduate courses within two faculties: the Faculty of Applied Sciences and Business and the Faculty of Art and Technology.

A 10-year Memorandum of Understanding exists between the university, Gloucestershire College and South Gloucestershire and Stroud College to support access to higher education.

The University has announced a £57 million investment programme for its estates including a new £38m 794 bed village in Cheltenham and a new business school and sports facilities in Gloucester.

History: University of Gloucestershire UK.

Publications on University history

Three key publications provide a definitive statement of the historical background of the educational provision which led to university status. The statement is supported by a timeline. The University of Gloucestershire timeline was reproduced by artist Josie Brown. It was commissioned by The Old Students Association of the University of Gloucestershire specifically to portray, in illuminated form, how the various conglomerate colleges became one Higher Education establishment. The work is hung in the main building of the Park Campus.