University Of Glasgow Zoology Museum

By | 2nd June 2017

University Of Glasgow Zoology Museum

The Zoology Museum, located in the Graham Kerr Building, was designed to house the Hunterian Museum’s zoological collections. It is a show-case for the animal world and highlights its diversity. As well as extensive collections of corals and shell, it is abundantly rich in insect life.

The Museum is laid out in the manner of a Greek temple with a Doric peristasis (colonade or row of columns) around the central top-lit display/working area and a surrounding outer pteron (aisle) for wall display cases. Sir John Graham Kerr was very particular about how the collections were to be presented, which included a preference for black velvet backgrounds in the display cases and black descriptive labels with gold text.

The Museum was designed by Sir John James Burnet (with input from Graham Kerr) and built from 1922 to early 1924. It was designed to be located centrally between the main lecture theatre and the elementary laboratory to encourage the use of its collections.

University Of Glasgow Zoology Museum

University Connections

Associated people

Building

Zoology

The Zoology Collections represent most of the major groups of animals but with particular strength in the insects. Of the 600,000 specimens, 90% are insects.

Dire Wolf skeleton

The historical core of the collection is William Hunter’s natural history material of which shells, insects and corals survive today.

Important additions to entomology were made by the acquisition of the extensive J. J. F. X. King (1923) and T. G. Bishop (1933) collections. University staff in the Department of Zoology added significant material in the areas of economic, medical and regional (Scottish) entomology.

Outwith the entomology collections, and reflecting its growth as a University teaching and reference collection, there is broad coverage of the animal kingdom with good mammalian osteology and a spirit collection of several thousand specimens representing mainly invertebrates and the lower vertebrates.

Other notable study collections include John Graham Kerr’s South American lungfish, local Mollusca, Himalayan bird skins and the Hansell collection of animal artefacts (bird and insect nests and other constructions).

University Of Glasgow Zoology Museum

About Us

   Founded in 1807, The Hunterian is Scotland’s oldest public museum and home to one of the largest collections outside the National Museums. The Hunterian is one of the leading university museums in the world and its collections have been Recognised as a Collection of National Significance. It is one of Scotland’s most important cultural assets.‌

Built on Dr William Hunter’s founding bequest, the collections today include scientific instruments used by James Watt, Joseph Lister and Lord Kelvin; outstanding Roman artefacts from the Antonine Wall; major natural and life sciences holdings; Hunter’s own extensive anatomical teaching collection; one of the world’s greatest numismatic collections; impressive ethnographic objects from Captain Cook’s Pacific voyages and a major art collection.

The Hunterian is also home to the world’s largest permanent display of the work of James McNeill Whistler, the largest single holding of the work of Charles Rennie Mackintosh and The Mackintosh House, the reassembled interiors from his Glasgow home.

The Hunterian continues in its Age of Enlightenment mission to be a central resource for research and teaching in the arts, humanities and natural and medical sciences, attracting scholars and visitors from around the world.