University Of Glasgow The Square

By | 6th June 2017

University Of Glasgow The Square

university of glasgow logo

Description

5 The Square is part of the Stair Building, which comprises No.5–10 The Square, and currently houses the School of Law.

Prior to its use as meeting rooms, lecture halls, and offices, No.5 was one of the 13 townhouses built in 1870–1871 by George Gilbert Scott to house the University’s Professors. It was first occupied from 1870 to 1875 by Edmund Law Lushington, a classical scholar and Professor of Greek at the University from 1838 to 1875.

From 1879 to 1889, Richard Claverhouse Jebb, also a Professor of Greek, lived at the property with his wife Caroline. Mrs Jebb recounted many events that took place at 5 The Square in her letters that were compiled and published under the title “With Dearest Love to All.” Professor Jebb was followed by Gilbert Murray, another Greek Professor, who lived at No.5 from 1889 to 1899.

John Swinnerton Phillimore was Professor of Greek from 1899 to 1906 and Professor of Humanity from 1906 to 1927 and lived at No.5 during this time. Phillimore followed George Gilbert Ramsay in the Chair of Humanity and as such should have moved to 6 The Square but, having lived at No.5 as Professor of Greek, elected to stay at 5 The Square.

The next resident at No.5 was Herbert James Paton, Professor of Logic and Rhetoric, who lived in the house from 1927 to 1938. C. Arthur Campbell, also a Professor of Logic and Rhetoric, lived at No.5 from 1938 to 1961. The next resident was Ronald Gregor Smith, Professor of Divinity, who occupied No.5 from 1961 to 1968.

5 The Square’s last resident was Sydney Checkland along with his wife Mrs. Checkland. He was Professor of Economic History from 1969 to 1981 and lived at No.5 during this time.

University Of Glasgow The Square

Summary

The Square, 5
5 The Square
University of Glasgow
Glasgow
G12 8QQ
Record last updated: 6th Nov 2015

University Connections

Associated people

Campus