University Of Glasgow 9 The Square

By | 1st June 2017

University Of Glasgow 9 The Square

Description

9 The Square is part of the Stair Building, which comprises No.5–10 The Square, and currently houses the School of Law.

No.9 was one of the 13 townhouses built for the University Professors in 1870–1871 by George Gilbert Scott. The first resident at No.9 was Allen Thomson, Regius Professor of Anatomy at the University from 1848 to 1877 and Clerk of Senate 1851-1855. The Thomson Building is named for him. He lived at No.9 from 1870 until 1877. The next resident was Sir William Gairdner, Regius Professor of Practice of Medicine from 1862 to 1900 and the first Senior Physician of The Western Infirmary, who lived in the townhouse from 1877 to 1900. From 1900 to 1908 Sir Thomas McCall Anderson lived at 9 The Square. Anderson was the University’s first Professor of Clinical Medicine from 1874 to 1900, the Regius Professor of Practice of Medicine from 1900 to 1908, and the Dean of the Faculty of Medicine from 1900 to 1904. He was also an early Medical Chief at The Western Infirmary.

 

University Of Glasgow 9 The Square

John Graham Kerr lived at No.9 from either late 1908 or early 1909 to 1935. He was Regius Professor of Zoology at the University from 1902 until 1935. The Zoology Building was renamed the Graham Kerr Building in his honour. Following the original allocation of the homes, No.9 should have been given to another member of the Medical Faculty but the house was subletted to zoology instead.

The next resident was John Duncan Mackie, Professor of Scottish History and Literature at the University from 1930 to 1957. He moved into the home around 1936 and lived there until 1958.

Mackie was followed by Sir Michael Stoker who was the first Professor of Virology at the University from 1958 to 1968. Stoker lived at the home with his wife Lady Veronica Stoker and their five children as well as a couple, Mr and Mrs Banks, until 1964 (Mrs Banks did the cleaning while Mr Banks taught the Stoker’s sons carpentry).

From 1964 to 1975, Terence Nonweiler, Professor of Engineering (Aeronautics and Fluid Mechanics) at the University from 1961 to 1975 and Dean of the Faculty of Engineering from 1970 to 1973, lived at 9 The Square.

After Nonweiler’s departure from No.9 much interest was shown by the other University Professors who wished to let the property. Ultimately the home was let to W. Arthur Harland. He was Regius Professor of Forensic Medicine at the University from 1974 to 1985 and Dean of the Faculty of Law from 1980 to 1983. Harland was the last resident at No.9, living at the property from 1975 to 1982. At this time, Harland moved into the lower flat at 13 The Square where he lived from 1982 to 1985. After this time 9 The Square was incorporated into the School of Law.

University Of Glasgow 9 The Square

Summary

The Square, 9
9 The Square
University of Glasgow
Glasgow
G12 8QQ
Record last updated: 6th Nov 2015

University Connections

Associated people

Campus